Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-weight champs vs. Undisputed champs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question....gotta go with multi-weight as I love seeing a David vs Goliath kinda match up....PAC vs margarito was crazy....tearing through the divisions is something else too...imagine the respect golovkin would have from fans if he moved through the weight classes one by one....I think nowadays it's a must

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      But apparently this is Golovkin's fault and we should be criticizing him for it, rather than criticizing the eunuchs in his division.
      its not his fault but it takes a lot of luster away from having the belts and claiming to be the best when you havent fought for your titles.

GGG is definitely a good fighter but its nothing to write home about when you aren't earning the titles in the ring.

Hard to say a fighter is "unified" or "undisputed" champion when he didnt eliminate the top 2-3 guys to get the distinction.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        its not his fault but it takes a lot of luster away from having the belts and claiming to be the best when you havent fought for your titles.

GGG is definitely a good fighter but its nothing to write home about when you aren't earning the titles in the ring.

Hard to say a fighter is "unified" or "undisputed" champion when he didnt eliminate the top 2-3 guys to get the distinction.
        Those top 2 or 3 fighters you say he didnt eliminate so how can you call him undisputed. Well those fighters eliminated themselves from fighting GGG.

I understand what you are saying about not winning the titles in the ring. I hate when guys are handed titles. But at the same time though, these fighters with these belts didnt want nothing to do with fighting GGG and gave then up and handed them to GGG rather than wanting to fight to give him his opportunity to win them.

Comment

Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
          Those top 2 or 3 fighters you say he didnt eliminate so how can you call him undisputed. Well those fighters eliminated themselves from fighting GGG.

I understand what you are saying about not winning the titles in the ring. I hate when guys are handed titles. But at the same time though, these fighters with these belts didnt want nothing to do with fighting GGG and gave then up and handed them to GGG rather than wanting to fight to give him his opportunity to win them.
          most times they have the two top contenders or 1 and 2-5 fight for the title.

He could have at least fought someone else for it if those guys vacated

instead of handing him the wbc, he could have fought the contender behind him for it

seen it a million times....I havent seen too many guys handed belts recently....i hated when the wba added regular titles in the early 2000s.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
            Theres only been 1 Undisputed champion in the last 10 years

and a myriad of multi-weight champions, including Ricky Burns, Adrien Broner, and Koki Kameda.

Honestly, if a fighter is in a position to acquire all the belts in the division, its a serious accomplishment. In Golovkin's scenario, other fighters are literally dropping belts in order to avoid him. Its not as if any fighter can manage that..

I hope Kovalev, Golovkin and Fury manage to unify the divisions, which should have been every champions goal in the first place. How can a man be happy with knowing that there are other guys out there claiming to be the divisional champion? I don't really understand it
            I agree. That's how i see it.

Comment

most times they have the two top contenders or 1 and 2-5 fight for the title.

He could have at least fought someone else for it if those guys vacated

instead of handing him the wbc, he could have fought the contender behind him for it

seen it a million times....I havent seen too many guys handed belts recently....i hated when the wba added regular titles in the early 2000s.
              Well my fanboy friend. Ill agree with you as far as these sanctioning bodies adding regular champs and super champs. Its stupid as hell and its what puts boxing in these f'ed up situation.

I want fighters to win things in the ring. And to me it sucks they just hand titles to certain guys. They just dont do it to GGG. They do it in every division. Its just your hate for this white fighter gots you going nuts about it. Broner is a 4 division champion. But outside of winning his Lightweight title from Demarco, who did he win his other three from? They handed them those titles, but you never show this much outrage toward that?

Comment

Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
                Well my fanboy friend. Ill agree with you as far as these sanctioning bodies adding regular champs and super champs. Its stupid as hell and its what puts boxing in these f'ed up situation.

I want fighters to win things in the ring. And to me it sucks they just hand titles to certain guys. They just dont do it to GGG. They do it in every division. Its just your hate for this white fighter gots you going nuts about it. Broner is a 4 division champion. But outside of winning his Lightweight title from Demarco, who did he win his other three from? They handed them those titles, but you never show this much outrage toward that?
                bruh....step your post game up...Before you post at least know the facts. your opinion are not facts

what is it with you guys bringing up race in every thread?

If your first few words are an insult, no one is going to take your posts seriously

the stone cold facts

1) FOUGHT for the vacant wbo title at 130....Vicente Martín Rodríguez

2) Fought for the wbc at 135 vs the titleholder...demarco

3) FOUGHT for the vacant wba title at 140...Khabib Allakhverdiev

4) FOUGHT for the wba title at 147 vs malignaggi

was the opposition great? NO.....was Broner handed any of his titles? NO

Take that race bait crap to a teenager bro

Comment

its called a forfeit. they forfeited and eliminated themselves.

Comment

bruh....step your post game up...Before you post at least know the facts. your opinion are not facts

what is it with you guys bringing up race in every thread?

If your first few words are an insult, no one is going to take your posts seriously

the stone cold facts

1) FOUGHT for the vacant wbo title at 130....Vicente Martín Rodríguez

2) Fought for the wbc at 135 vs the titleholder...demarco

3) FOUGHT for the vacant wba title at 140...Khabib Allakhverdiev

4) FOUGHT for the wba title at 147 vs malignaggi

was the opposition great? NO.....was Broner handed any of his titles? NO

Take that race bait crap to a teenager bro
                    Um, well yes he was. Broner was 'upgraded' to the Super WBA belt in the same manner as Golovkin was. He won a regular belt when Garcia's Super status was still in the air..

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                      And for the sake of the thread, lets say multi-division= 2-4 weight classes. I could think of a few current day multi division champs but the last undisputed (WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO) champ boxing had was B-Hop.

So with that said, in your honest opinion, in present day boxing, which should be respected more? & why??
                      Not trying to be a dick, but Jermain Taylor was the last male undisputed champion. Boxing does currently have a female undisputed champion in Cecilia Braekhus though.

But back to your original question: for me it's obviously becoming an undisputed champion. The whole multiple division champion claim doesn't mean that much to me in the age of four sanctioning body belts.

Comment

Working...
                      X