No announcement yet.

Sparred With a Pro!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparred With a Pro!

I got to spar against Mike "Cold Blood" Clark last Friday. I’m not sure what most peoples opinions of him are as a boxer, I don’t really care honestly, but I got to spar 3 rounds of with him last Friday! I had just gotten in from doing some sprints and sat down to catch my breath. I saw him and his trainer in the ring working the body. I had seen them up at the gym a few other times but honestly I had no clue who he was. There were about 6-8 other guys in the gym at the time (Friday evenings are dead) and his trainer asked if anyone else wanted to get in, they had already done 4-5 2 minute rounds. After looking around no one said anything… So I said sure! His trainer Matt looked kind of surprised as did mine. I wanted to get some sparring in anyway so why not? I kind of thought something might be up when everyone in the gym stopped what they were doing and walked over to the ring, but again I had no clue who he was. We only worked the body. He was really fast! There were a few times he hit me and I had no clue how he got his fists there. Then he would walk into the corner and just slip out and be standing right next to me. LOL He easily could have worked me over good! I could throw a 3-4 punch combo and not land **** all while he was right in front of me, His trainer was yelling and giving me tips and I think Mike may have under estimated me at first (not anything like I was a threat, but just maybe a little better then he thought) I felt like I may have landed a few solid hits. The last 30 seconds in the 3rd round I just got inside and tried to give him everything I had. It was great, he really made me look good. After that I had some guys come up to me and say “Wow, how was that! Or “Man you’ve got balls”. I didn’t know what the big deal was. I mean he looked really good but I didn’t think he was a pro. I sat down a got to talk to his trainer then it all hit me! Hahah. I’ve never really watched boxing or grew up around it. I just thought it looked cool. I joined my boxing gym in January and fell in love with it. So the fact that I actually got in and sparred 3 solid rounds against a pro was really cool! He’s a great guy and as a novice in every sense of boxing he was really good to work with. His trainer Matt gave me a few tips as well. They come up to the gym a lot so I might get to work with them again. Here are a few links to his stats and other misc info…

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Human:2528
    http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...2528&cat=boxer

Originally posted by CMaines View Post
    I got to spar against Mike "Cold Blood" Clark last Friday. I’m not sure what most peoples opinions of him are as a boxer, I don’t really care honestly, but I got to spar 3 rounds of with him last Friday! I had just gotten in from doing some sprints and sat down to catch my breath. I saw him and his trainer in the ring working the body. I had seen them up at the gym a few other times but honestly I had no clue who he was. There were about 6-8 other guys in the gym at the time (Friday evenings are dead) and his trainer asked if anyone else wanted to get in, they had already done 4-5 2 minute rounds. After looking around no one said anything… So I said sure! His trainer Matt looked kind of surprised as did mine. I wanted to get some sparring in anyway so why not? I kind of thought something might be up when everyone in the gym stopped what they were doing and walked over to the ring, but again I had no clue who he was. We only worked the body. He was really fast! There were a few times he hit me and I had no clue how he got his fists there. Then he would walk into the corner and just slip out and be standing right next to me. LOL He easily could have worked me over good! I could throw a 3-4 punch combo and not land **** all while he was right in front of me, His trainer was yelling and giving me tips and I think Mike may have under estimated me at first (not anything like I was a threat, but just maybe a little better then he thought) I felt like I may have landed a few solid hits. The last 30 seconds in the 3rd round I just got inside and tried to give him everything I had. It was great, he really made me look good. After that I had some guys come up to me and say “Wow, how was that! Or “Man you’ve got balls”. I didn’t know what the big deal was. I mean he looked really good but I didn’t think he was a pro. I sat down a got to talk to his trainer then it all hit me! Hahah. I’ve never really watched boxing or grew up around it. I just thought it looked cool. I joined my boxing gym in January and fell in love with it. So the fact that I actually got in and sparred 3 solid rounds against a pro was really cool! He’s a great guy and as a novice in every sense of boxing he was really good to work with. His trainer Matt gave me a few tips as well. They come up to the gym a lot so I might get to work with them again. Here are a few links to his stats and other misc info…

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Human:2528
    http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...2528&cat=boxer
    mAN YOU GOT BALLS I DIDNT STARTED SPARRING WITH PROS AFTER A YEAR WHEN I FIRST STARTED BOXING.I remember my first time it was against Daniel Santos and he really hurt me but it only help me get my confidence to step up with the big boys.Keep it up and you will only get better!!!good luck

Comment

smells of poo in here???

Comment

I remember seeing that guy on The Contender. He's a good fighter, was in with Artur Grigorian. Got knocked out, but hey.

Comment

Originally posted by yeykax View Post
          mAN YOU GOT BALLS I DIDNT STARTED SPARRING WITH PROS AFTER A YEAR WHEN I FIRST STARTED BOXING.I remember my first time it was against Daniel Santos and he really hurt me but it only help me get my confidence to step up with the big boys.Keep it up and you will only get better!!!good luck
          Daniel Santos the P'Rican? The one who beat Antonio Margarito?

Hmm...

Anyone smell that??

Comment

This is how you will learn if you can get in there with guys who can fight and aren't going to take advantage of your inexperience and beat the **** out of you.

Comment

Nice !

NICE WORK ! ! ! Yeh sounds like you done well and keep it up aye.

I have had only 1 amatuer one win, though I have sparred a few Pro's at my gym and i find i go better sparring pro's because its a different style of fight, but on the other hand i find it harder fighting a amatuer style fight aye.. . .

Comment

Man, that's what i'm talkin about. You want to spar with pros. Yaddada? It allows you to gauge where your skills stand. I spar pros all the time, but they're just not at the highest level of pros, feel me? Don't get star struck just cus they're "pros" ya know? Andre Ward visits my club once in a blue moon, and i ain't even trippin.

When i'm around pros, it helps me understand the business more, get tips, etc etc...yaddada? Smell me?

Ya gotta spar with pros if you want to do something with your boxing career.

Comment

Originally posted by barry big balz View Post
                  smells of poo in here???
                  Not sure if this was directed towards me or not, but believe what you want. I'm not trying to BS anyone, just sharing a cool experience that happened while boxing.

Originally posted by Squabbles94806 View Post
                  Man, that's what i'm talkin about. You want to spar with pros. Yaddada? It allows you to gauge where your skills stand. I spar pros all the time, but they're just not at the highest level of pros, feel me? Don't get star struck just cus they're "pros" ya know? Andre Ward visits my club once in a blue moon, and i ain't even trippin.

When i'm around pros, it helps me understand the business more, get tips, etc etc...yaddada? Smell me?

Ya gotta spar with pros if you want to do something with your boxing career.
                  It was hard for me to get "star struck" because I had no idea who he was. Hahaha. But I know what you're saying, now that I do, don't let that be a factor. I really like getting the ring with guys who are more experienced and at a higher skill level. I'm not really intimidated by other fighters when sparing so I’d rather get in and work with someone who knows what they are doing and who have control. I learn a lot more from them, sometimes it’s a bit painful, but I it’s worth it!

Comment

Most pros will give some amateurs a round or two. They will give you many more rounds if you are an interesting sparring partner. The top pros will even pay you.

Comment

Working...
                    X