Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What People Would Say to Criticize Past Fighters if the Internet Were Around Then

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
    Battling Nelson: fouling, cheating scumbag.
    It's up to the ref to enforce the rules. Nelson did what it takes to win. Besides Wolgast was even dirtier and Gans faked a low blow. That shot was legit.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      It's up to the ref to enforce the rules. Nelson did what it takes to win. Besides Wolgast was even dirtier and Gans faked a low blow. That shot was legit.
      Do you think Gans threw the McGovern fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
        Do you think Gans threw the McGovern fight?
        I'm no expert on Gans, but did he fight McGovern at all?

Edit: According to boxrec he did. I'll have to check the old papers to give you an answer as I am no expert on Gans.
        Last edited by BattlingNelson; 03-19-2009, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          I'm no expert on Gans, but did he fight McGovern at all?

Edit: According to boxrec he did. I'll have to check the old papers to give you an answer as I am no expert on Gans.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
            Thanks for this. Always great to see those very old clips.

Referee Siler after the fight:

""Gans put up the weakest article of fight ever witnessed in Chicago. His every effort was weak and he acted as If he were not trying. His blocking, however was all right but his hitting, of which so much has been said, was not In evidence. I do not like to accuse a fighter of faking, but will say that Gans' work had all the earmarks of a fake.

Terry fought as usual. He sailed Into Gans at the tap of the gong, slashing away with both hands at head and body. His body blows were the most effective even though Gans went to the canvas repeatedly from head blows.

The knockout was a short right jolt under the chin, and may have been hard
            enough to put Gans down for the count, but it did not strike me so."

Comment

Originally posted by thread stealer View Post
              no fighters are immune to criticism nowadays, athletes as a whole are more nitpicked on the internet. Of course, it also gives people better insight as just to how disturbed some fans are by getting so emotionally attached to athletes and seemingly trying to live vicariously through them, but that's another story.

Here's what people in the past would've likely said about pre-internet era fighters.

Larry holmes: Unify damn it! Give a guy a rematch after he gives you a tough fight!

Salvador sanchez: Stop ducking eusebio pedroza!

Eusebio pedroza: An uppercut to the testicles is not a scoring punch!

Sugar ray robinson: Quit asking for too much money, and pulling out of all these fights at the last minute!

Aaron pryor: You should've taken the $500,000 offer from ray leonard.

Sugar ray leonard: You should've offered more than $500,000 to pryor. You low-balled him.

Marvin hagler: Stop ignoring the public challenges of the light-heavyweights and fight one of them.

Jack johnson: (besides the racist comments). Fight a black contender!

Wilfred benitez: Train!
              marvin making a name off of beating smaller fighters. He is overrated and as built his resume up with small guys, fight someone your size.

Srl fight hagler already, srl is waiting for hagler to get old so he can then fight him. Duran is srl daddy. Tommy hearns is the real #1 fighter out there. He will fight anybody anytime, he fights for legacy! Lol

Comment

Seeing as how much people are discussing catchweight fights now, Leonard would've gotten a lot of **** for the Lalonde bout and Hearns rematch.

Leonard did catch some flack in the boxing magazines for the Lalonde bout. Some were calling it a farce that never should've taken place.

Comment

Good thread, didnt really think about the internet but its so true....

Its the main reason people end up hyping/underrating fighters...jst saying they are ducking this person or that person...

Comment

I still want to see how St. Sugar Ray Robinson would be treated by the internet age.

Comment

Sonny Liston would be kind of interesting also, and what would people say about Ali-Liston 2 (LOL).

Comment

Working...
                      X