WEC star Urijah Faber plans to dabble in 135- and 155-pound divisions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEC star Urijah Faber plans to dabble in 135- and 155-pound divisions

WEC star Urijah Faber plans to dabble in 135- and 155-pound divisions

CHICAGO - Figuring he has a little less than a decade left in his mixed-martial-arts career, former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber (22-2 MMA, 7-1 WEC) has given plenty of thought to the future.

And during a 30-minute question-and-answer session following Saturday's WEC 40 weigh-ins in Chicago, the 145-pound Faber gave a sneak peak of some potential coming attractions.

They include a move down to 135 pounds for a potential fight with WEC bantamweight champ Miguel Torres and a jump up to 155 pounds for a possible bout with UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn.

"I'll probably have another seven to eight years in this sport," the 29-year-old Faber said while sharing a panel with fellow WEC fighters Mike Brown and Donald Cerrone and WEC broadcaster Frank Mir. "I'll probably go down to 135 (pounds) and up to 155. I'll try to stabilize myself at 145, so there's a lot of fights out there for me."

And whom would "The California Kid" like to fight in those divisions?

"Maybe Miguel," Faber said. "Maybe 'Kid' Yamamoto. Maybe B.J. Penn. Who knows what's next? Maybe (Tyson) Griffin."

All would present interesting options. Despite losing his featherweight belt to Brown in November, Faber constantly finds himself the subject of fans' fantasy matchmaking. And ever since Torres' emergence as the WEC's bantamweight champion and the world's top 135-pound fighter, fans have clamored for a Torres vs. Faber bout.

Faber likes the idea, but he first has other business that needs addressing.

"Right now, this guy's the man, and I don't like that," joked Faber while pointing to Brown.

The two fighters will rematch on June 7 in Faber's hometown of Sacramento, Calif. In the first meeting, Brown, who was considered a fairly heavy underdog (despite an impressive resume with a number of quality wins), stopped Faber with a dominant first-round TKO. The loss snapped Faber's 13-fight winning streak, and it was his first-ever defeat in the WEC.

Avenging the loss could open all kinds of doors for Faber, and as a self-admitted fight junkie who sees MMA more a passion than profession, he wants to make the most of his time in the sport.

"I'm just about fighting," Faber said. "It's not about winning or losing. It's about doing what I love to do. I'm not about waiting around. I'll fight anyone."

While he thinks a drop to 135 pounds is quite possible, Faber knows he could have some difficulty with the sport's bigger 155-pounders.

"I was a 133-pounder all through college (wrestling)," said Faber, a former all-time wins leader and assistant wrestling coach at UC Davis. "That's probably my natural fighting weight. ... But I've been a world champion for a long time at 145 (pounds), and I feel comfortable there.

"It's no secret that I'm small for my weight class. I'm trying to put on weight. It's tough for me since I'm already up a weight class from where I was."

Regardless, don't expect Faber to dodge any challenges. And if Zuffa's promoting abilities can keep up with Faber's own matchmaking requests, expect some major bouts in the coming years.

For Faber, he wouldn't want it any other way.

"MMA is a lifestyle for me," Faber said. "If I'm not traveling, I'm at the gym, in my little neighborhood, loving life and having fun."

Urijah Faber sounds like an awesome guy to talk to in all of his videos. The dude really never has anything negative to say, I got love for Mike Brown and ATT but I'm rooting for Faber in this one.

Comment

Working...
    X