No announcement yet.

Who is the best Mexican and Puerto Rican fighter or ALL TIME? THE GOAT

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doritos View Post
    Of course we can, in fact lol....how else do we even decide who ATGs are? Anyone can look superb vs sub par competition. The majority of his other 44 straight wins were against journeymen and fringe contenders.

To be an ATG you have to actually prove and test yourself, you need career defining wins against other ATGs, think Ali vs Foreman/Frazier/Norton/Liston. Duran vs De Jesus, Buchanan, Leonard, Hagler. etc etc Chavez's was who...Camacho? lol

Chavez lost his biggest fights and got gifts against fighters he shouldn't have needed gifts against. He's a vastly overrated boxer. That's not to say he wasn't a good boxer, he was but he has no place in any legitimate top ATG list.

So who is the best Mexican fighter? Sorry if I missed it the first time around? Tell me. I still don't agree with your premise. But, I'd love to know.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I disagree entirely I think Carlos Ortiz is more well rounded than Cotto.

Ortiz is better in most areas than Cotto other than perhaps power and body punching.
      Which is fine. But Cotto's power and body punching on top of his pretty good boxing ability is what make me think he has the better overall ability. I'm not going to argue with you though, this to me is no different than Ali vs Vladimir. It'll never happen and no one is ever going to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by mneronava2k View Post
        So who is the best Mexican fighter? Sorry if I missed it the first time around? Tell me. I still don't agree with your premise. But, I'd love to know.
        You don't have to agree with my premise but at least take a look at his opponents and review some of the guys fights then tell me why you disagree.

Per your question I'd take Sanchez, JMM, Olivares and Zarate over JCC. Maybe even Lopez.

Comment

Salvador Sanchez

Wilfredo Gomez

Comment

You don't have to agree with my premise but at least take a look at his opponents and review some of the guys fights then tell me why you disagree.

Per your question I'd take Sanchez, JMM, Olivares and Zarate over JCC. Maybe even Lopez.
            I don't have to review his list of opponents and I already explained. He blasted out and made many potential (and legitimate) contenders look out of their league. Now, if his reign wasn't so clear cut and dominant then I'd agree with the premise. He was just too good. I'm also one of those people that view his last second knockout of Taylor as a work of clutch player knocking it out of the park in the bottom of the 9th as opposed to Taylor getting screwed. They fight again. People always forget that part. Anyway, how about Taylor, Mayweather (twice), Rosario?

Sanchez is an incomplete and unfulfilled story. Often romaticized due to his death. I think he was great, but I can't say he's the best Mexican fighter--we never saw his decline. He's a favorite of mine. But, Chavez did legendary things. Things that propel him to greatness.

My favorite Mexican fighter is JMM. But, he's not the greatest. But, again he's my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by mneronava2k View Post
              I don't have to review his list of opponents and I already explained. He blasted out and made many potential (and legitimate) contenders look out of their league. Now, if his reign wasn't so clear cut and dominant then I'd agree with the premise. He was just too good. I'm also one of those people that view his last second knockout of Taylor as a work of clutch player knocking it out of the park in the bottom of the 9th as opposed to Taylor getting screwed. They fight again. People always forget that part. Anyway, how about Taylor, Mayweather (twice), Rosario?

Sanchez is an incomplete and unfulfilled story. Often romaticized due to his death. I think he was great, but I can't say he's the best Mexican fighter--we never saw his decline. He's a favorite of mine. But, Chavez did legendary things. Things that propel him to greatness.

My favorite Mexican fighter is JMM. But, he's not the greatest. But, again he's my favorite.
              Go on boxrec and just have a browse through his first 50 odd fights at the very least, I know boxrec stats aren't the most accurate of things but when half his wins are against guys with more losses than wins you have to step back and say wtf?

He lost to Taylor in their first fight, he beat a faded Taylor in the second. Camacho was his best win, Mayweather was good wins and Rosario was a very good win. For a guy with over 100 fights and considered the best Mexican fighter of all time by many (a criteria with some of the deepest and best talent in boxing history) that isn't an impressive resume by any stretch.

What Sanchez did in his career already trumps what Chavez did in his whole career, imo. Lopez x2, prime Castillo, Castanon, prime Perez, undefeated Wilfredo Gomez (arguably the best PR fighter of all time), undefeated Azumah Nelson.

Now that is the resume of an ATG, achieved by 23 years of age. Chavez doesn't measure up to that, not even close.

Comment

Go on boxrec and just have a browse through his first 50 odd fights at the very least, I know boxrec stats aren't the most accurate of things but when half his wins are against guys with more losses than wins you have to step back and say wtf?

He lost to Taylor in their first fight, he beat a faded Taylor in the second. Camacho was his best win, Mayweather was good wins and Rosario was a very good win. For a guy with over 100 fights and considered the best Mexican fighter of all time by many (a criteria with some of the deepest and best talent in boxing history) that isn't an impressive resume by any stretch.

What Sanchez did in his career already trumps what Chavez did in his whole career, imo. Lopez x2, prime Castillo, Castanon, prime Perez, undefeated Wilfredo Gomez (arguably the best PR fighter of all time), undefeated Azumah Nelson.

Now that is the resume of an ATG, achieved by 23 years of age. Chavez doesn't measure up to that, not even close.
                Respectfully disagree. And, I'm not going to get into a debate about the Taylor fight.

I love Sanchez, but i disagree.

I'm well versed in boxing. I gave stats to you. I don't need boxingrec. It would tell me what I already know. I do think it's a disservice to say Chavez is overrated. The dude was flat out dominant with or without his wins against "Mexican cab drivers". Tell me the truth; is this Greg Haugen?

Comment

The greatest Puerto Rican boxer is either Wilfredo Gomez or Benitez.

Greatest Mexican boxer.. I don't know, maybe Chavez Sr.??????

It sucks that Sanchez had to leave so soon.

Comment

Puerto Rico: Felix Tito Trinidad
                    Mexico: Juan Manuel Marquez

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
                      Mexico has produced more fighters, not necessarily better. That's also to be expected when PR is an island like 40 miles wide lol.
                      Yeah, PR is tiny compared to Mexico, which may play a part in Mexico's superior heritage but it's nothing for anybody to get offended about, especially PR folk. I hate all this racial bias.

Comment

Working...
                      X