No announcement yet.

Mike Hunter: A forgotten heavyweight contender

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Hunter: A forgotten heavyweight contender

I remember seeing his name in the top 12 rankings of the Ring Magazine in the early 1990s. He beat future champ Oliver McCall, he beat Pinklon Thomas after the former champion lost to Tyson and Holyfield, and people only remember Thomas' losses to Bowe and Morrison after.

I check out the late Mike Hunter's record and his resume is quite good at least, beating familiar names, some of whom were undefeated when they face him, and was stopped only once in his last fight against Brian Nielsen.

Hunter stands alongside Orlin Norris in a wrong era when the heavyweight division is so deep and they couldn't crack a title shot, I believe this guy is better than Smokin Bert Cooper and Jesse Ferguson, both of whom were lucky to fight for the heavyweight title.

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
    I remember seeing his name in the top 12 rankings of the Ring Magazine in the early 1990s. He beat future champ Oliver McCall, he beat Pinklon Thomas after the former champion lost to Tyson and Holyfield, and people only remember Thomas' losses to Bowe and Morrison after.

I check out the late Mike Hunter's record and his resume is quite good at least, beating familiar names, some of whom were undefeated when they face him, and was stopped only once in his last fight against Brian Nielsen.

Hunter stands alongside Orlin Norris in a wrong era when the heavyweight division is so deep and they couldn't crack a title shot, I believe this guy is better than Smokin Bert Cooper and Jesse Ferguson, both of whom were lucky to fight for the heavyweight title.
    I am a huge fan of Mike"Bounty"Hunter, he was great to watch and was one of the skillfullest fighters of the 1990s.. i have many of his fights and enjoy watching him. Mike Hunter easily beat Dwight Qawi & Oliver McCall and was robbed` against Frans Botha. His best performances to watch are his incredibly skillfull victories over Alexander Zolkin 1993 and Jimmy Thunder 1990 were `The Bounty`Hunter was at his brilliant best. His life story is very tragic and it is a shame boxing fans do not mention him as often as he should be remembered....here is a short video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4hpQqhGKx8

Comment

I remember him well. He was tricky. Similar to Jimmy Young and Chris Byrd on being hard to hit solidly. Remember him fighting Tyrell Briggs on short notice and embarrassing him. Sad how he died. His son was a good amateur and is now a young prospect.

Comment

His son is an upcoming HW prospect, he was a good amateur. Michael Hunter Jr, check him out.

Comment

Working...
        X