No announcement yet.

How do you spar larger opponents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you spar larger opponents?

I'm 5'9 and walk around 158 pounds. I had to spar this cat that was 6'4 and 190+ pounds. I started out jabbing and as soon as my jab tapped his wrist this fool backs up and throws his jab but I kept slipping it. Then he tells me to come forward to make it a phone booth fight but the previous guy he sparred was getting pushed way too much. I step in and throw a right hand and he backs up and leaves his left jab hanging there to keep me apart and to force to move to his right. That pissed me off and at the end this guy tells me I was fighting scared. I was just not trying to fall for his BS. I watched the Omar Henry vs Margarito sparring session and saw how Henry pushed margs with his left guard down and it cut his high guard from throwing punches so he threw a right hand. Any advice?

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
    at the end this guy tells me I was fighting scared.
    OMG this guy you were sparring is a f-ing idiot. don't let him bait you into fighting w/ his advantages.

Comment

You might think about jabbing at his shoulder and go to the body. Fighting a guy with a lot of length on you is hard but just start hitting him where you can and that might open things up.

Good luck

Comment

If you have good footwork, why not take the outside and force him to come toward you. Put the jab into the pit of his stomach. Mix in some feints upstairs and lead with the right to the body as well... eventually they'll become wary of the tactic and start dropping their hands.

Comment

Good pointers yall but its pretty odd how size differences make awkward sparring sessions you really cant work on anything but learn to adapt to physical advantages

Comment

Some good pointers here. I pretty much spar with much bigger guys than me all the time as I'm one of the smaller guys in the gym so my advice is pretty much similar to the ones above. straight shots to the body or chest and use your feet.

Comment

If your fighting scared whys he making you bring the fight to him isnt he the bigger guy aswell? just ignore that fool

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
                OMG this guy you were sparring is a f-ing idiot. don't let him bait you into fighting w/ his advantages.
                This....

Foreman said it best... If youre tall, thats your advantage, stay tall and use your jab and length... If your short, thats your advantage, stay low and out of reach or fight on the inside... If hes got 40 lbs on you, you should be a lot quicker than him, use your speed, slip those jabs and counter.

And never, never do what the other fighter wants you to do.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                  This....

Foreman said it best... If youre tall, thats your advantage, stay tall and use your jab and length... If your short, thats your advantage, stay low and out of reach or fight on the inside... If hes got 40 lbs on you, you should be a lot quicker than him, use your speed, slip those jabs and counter.

And never, never do what the other fighter wants you to do.
                  roger that!

Comment

Like Barrera fought Morales

Comment

Working...
                    X