Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accolades are joke. Its not about whose the best but who the media wants to promote

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accolades are for the most part meaningless things, sure they are cool to win but it really changes nothing and doesn't change actual accomplishments.

They can be fun to talk about and debate if people don't take them seriously, sadly too many do.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      Freddie Roach is the most overrated trainer of this generation.....look at Nacho Beristeins resume...he managed Vincente Salidvar in the 70s, he actually built and made champions from scratch, hall of famers, etc, and I don't ever remember him getting much attention or accolades...I get it....he is white, with a terminal disease, and trained the most beloved fighter of this generation, but he was not the best trainer of this generation nor did he deserve trainer of the year so many times when some of those years he had mixed results

Canelo is not 2015 fighter of the year.....Floyd Mayweather is....he won the biggest fight in boxing history and retired 49-0....if any other fighter would have done this, he would have won easily

[B]GGG was a huge candidate for some, even Doug Fischer, who I respect but is a bit biased...GGG is already the least deserving top 5 so called p4p guy and they tried to hand him fighter of the year too?..[/B]GGG is fun to watch but beat unranked Monroe, decent Murray and titleholder Lemieux don't get you fighter of the year on planet earth.

It just goes to show you , things are turning into popularity contests, instead of awarding fighters for what they've accomplished in the ring....prime example is Arturo Gatti, Ray Mancini and Barry McGuigan being in the hall but better more accomplished fighters like Gilberto Roman, Eddie Booker, and Diego Corrales not being in
      Dude do you know that Nacho Beristain is in the International Boxing Hall of Fame as a trainer. He was inducted a few years back. Which means boxing recognizes him as being one of the best trainers of all time. What other accolades does he need?
      Last edited by True-Boxing-Fan; 12-28-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by True-Boxing-Fan View Post
        Dude do you know that Nacho Beristain is in the International Boxing Hall of Fame as a trainer. He was inducted a few years back. Which means boxing recognizes him as being one of the best trainers of all time. What other accolades does he need?

If that's the case then Roach should hand back a few of those trainer of the year awards since they mean so little

I know he is in the hall of fame, yet outside of hard core fans, no one knows who he is and that's my point...how many times has he won trainer of the year??? This dude has trained over half a dozen hall of famers and some from scratch and some mid career.

He deserves more due than he gets whether its awards or media coverage....he is truly like the Mexican Emmanuel Steward.....all his fighters have the Nacho cheese with them seemless combos and technique

Comment

If that's the case then Roach should hand back a few of those trainer of the year awards since they mean so little

I know he is in the hall of fame, yet outside of hard core fans, no one knows who he is and that's my point...how many times has he won trainer of the year??? This dude has trained over half a dozen hall of famers and some from scratch and some mid career.

He deserves more due than he gets whether its awards or media coverage....he is truly like the Mexican Emmanuel Steward.....all his fighters have the Nacho cheese with them seemless combos and technique
          I think the Pacquiao and Cotto losses show that Roach is overrated.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr.Fantastic;16354810]I've been saying that for years about Roach. Nacho has built many boxers from the ground up to HOF/ATG quality boxers.

Right now I'm still undecided on who should be the FOTY. I think Fury/GGG should be up there. Fury dethroned a dominant top 10 ATG HW champion in a fight many thought(myself included) would lose.

If you want to put Chocolatito up there, you should also include GGG. They're both very similar. They were dominant in predictable matches.[/QUOTE]

My 3 nominees are Fury, Floyd and Chocolatito

Brian Viloria is a higher caliber fighter than anyone GGG has fought as a pro and Sosa was a former champion....Murray and Monroe aren't on that level.....Ill say Sosa and Lemieux are closer in caliber but this one guy edges it.....

Viloria is a multiple time and weight champion and a former olympan.....Sorry but Monroe, Lem and Murray aren't close to the Hawaiian punch....go look at his resume, look at theirs, then tell me what you think

GGG isn't in the conversation for fighter of the year in my book....level of competition wasn't high enough but he performed beautifully.

Comment

Morales, Marquez, and Mayweather beat Pac and didn't win fighter of the year.....Manny beat them he won or wins....if Manny beat Mayweather he'd be on GOD STATUS right now
              If Manny beat Mayweather he'd be on GOD status, and rightfully so.

Why?

Because he'd be the only man who beat Floyd Mayweather.

Just because they were rivals, it doesn't mean they get the same treatment. If the KTFO6 didn't happen then the Pacquiao win would get Floyd the FOTY award and I don't think anybody could say a thing about it.

But it did happen, and Pacquiao hasn't looked like himself ever since. He's been fighting safely since that fight, don't let Algeri fight fool you.

He has changed as a fighter, and I can't blame him for that.

That and the fact that the fight was so **** take some shine off that win.

Anyway, Tyson Fury is the FOTY, not Mayweather.

Comment

Honestly Floyd and Fury there is not much in it so whichever way you go you can't be wrong.

If I ran an organization, website, publication I am not picking Floyd though because he is yesterday's news. Any of those need to be building the importance of other names like Fury (plus like I said was an equal this year) or Canelo (who had a bit worse year than both).

Comment

You're not wrong. But there are always a certain threshold of knowability (if thats a word) & acceptability going on with any awards. I don't think its just boxing. If some guy had a upset on ESPN or FoxSports 1 he's probably still going to lose Upset of the Year to the guy who had a upset on HBO or Showtime. Just having more people know you or being on a certain channel is likely going to get more odds in your favor in boxing & other avenues.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
                    If Manny beat Mayweather he'd be on GOD status, and rightfully so.

Why?

Because he'd be the only man who beat Floyd Mayweather.

Just because they were rivals, it doesn't mean they get the same treatment. If the KTFO6 didn't happen then the Pacquiao win would get Floyd the FOTY award and I don't think anybody could say a thing about it.

But it did happen, and Pacquiao hasn't looked like himself ever since. He's been fighting safely since that fight, don't let Algeri fight fool you.

He has changed as a fighter, and I can't blame him for that.

That and the fact that the fight was so **** take some shine off that win.

Anyway, Tyson Fury is the FOTY, not Mayweather.
                    fury is a better choice than canelo or GGG.....Klitschko was the most dominant heavyweight champion since Larry Holmes and he lost the title the year I was born......Klitschko would have the world at his feet if he was the same fighter but American....the media sucks major azz

Comment

Dude what other accolades do you want him to have? He's in the hall of fame, he's won trainer of the year, he's trained fighters from the beginning and made them champs. He's done and accomplished everything a trainer can.

What do you want him to have Hollywood type of fame? What are you complaining about with nacho. He's one of the best trainers ever and boxing recognizes it.

Comment

Working...
                      X