No announcement yet.

Frank Warren: I'm done with Chisora!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Warren: I'm done with Chisora!

FRANK WARREN has confirmed that he has severed ties with former British and European heavyweight champion, Dereck Chisora. The 31-year-old had been with the promoter since turning professional in 2007, and his record currently stands at 22-5 (14).

“Queensberry Promotions will no longer be promoting or working with Dereck Chisora,” was the succinct statement from the promotional outfit.

“Del Boy” won his first 14 contests – picking up the British title in his 13th when he halted a shopworn Danny Williams in two rounds – before he turned up out of shape for a 2011 showdown with Tyson Fury. Chisora lost that contest over 12 rounds, but was handed a European title shot five months later against Robert Helenius in Helsinki. Despite a stirring effort that should have reaped better reward, the Zimbabwe-born Londoner was controversially defeated on the cards after 12.

Despite his second loss, Chisora secured a shot at then-WBC heavyweight champion, Vitali Klitschko in his next outing. A brave effort – that resulted in another points defeat – was overshadowed by his antics before and after the bout, when he slapped Vitali at the weigh-in, spat at brother Wladimir before the opening bell, and then got into a brawl with David Haye at the post-fight press conference.

With his licence suspended by the BBBofC, a money-spinning contest with Haye was organised under the alien Luxembourg Commission. Chisora lost again after being stopped in the fifth round of their Summer 2012 showdown.

He won five consecutive fights after that, winning the EBU belt along the way, before being trounced by Fury in a November rematch. Since then, Chisora dispensed with long-time coach Don Charles, scored a first round knockout, and looked dreadful while scoring a September 10-round points win over Marcelo Nascimento.

When asked to comment on the breakup further, Warren simply said: “I’m done. End of story.”

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/fran...ereck-chisora/

I can see him being signed to Matchroom and be matched with Joshua, which would be a good fight for Anthony coming up the ranks say he gets past Whyte.

Warren has done more than enough for Chisora.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
      I can see him being signed to Matchroom and be matched with Joshua, which would be a good fight for Anthony coming up the ranks say he gets past Whyte.

Warren has done more than enough for Chisora.
      Seems a little far fetched to me. He's not really befitting of the matchroom poster boy image.

Could see him sign with Sauerland or someone like that or maybe even just freelance.

Or maybe retire.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
        Seems a little far fetched to me. He's not really befitting of the matchroom poster boy image.

Could see him sign with Sauerland or someone like that or maybe even just freelance.

Or maybe retire.

Thats what he should've done a while ago. He has been set for a while. A nice little feature by Channel 5 before Fury 1 showed how he has been living it up for a while because of his business ventures.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
          Thats what he should've done a while ago. He has been set for a while. A nice little feature by Channel 5 before Fury 1 showed how he has been living it up for a while because of his business ventures.
          Good for him. He never had any big talent as it was. Decent fighter, but not the kind that usually becomes a millionaire.

The Fury & Haye fights did him well.

Comment

Matchroom won't sign him but they'll cart him out to feed to Joshua

Comment

Not surprised. Warren gets a lot of stick (most of the time, quite rightly...), but this is one instances where he has actually worked hard to get his fighter title shots.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                Not surprised. Warren gets a lot of stick (most of the time, quite rightly...), but this is one instances where he has actually worked hard to get his fighter title shots.
                Warren has certainly done well with Chisora. Absolutely no doubt there.

Comment

Matchroom will use him. Wouldn't be a huge shock to see Haymon sign him either, he has signed worse HWs (Spilka anyone?)

Comment

Working...
                  X