No announcement yet.

Khan essentially trained himself for a large part of the Garcia camp

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khan essentially trained himself for a large part of the Garcia camp

That's not good for any boxer, even a highly experienced Vet. Roach not dedicating 100% to Khan might have been the reason behind Khan's regression in the Garcia fight. His defence was real bad for the most part, it's like his skill level went back in time. If Roach had been training him more regularly he probably wouldn't have made the same sort of mistakes.

Roach is no defence expert, but Khan was keeping his hands low for a lot of that fight and I would think that even a basic trainer would have corrected that. Also his upper body movement was non-existent. Plus in the sparring video he was fighting the exact same way, making the same sort of mistakes.

so he is paying a trainer that does no work. wow....

Comment

Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
      so he is paying a trainer that does no work. wow....
      lol.. yeah i guess so.. I mean he can't control Roach's activity, he only signs the training contract expecting that the trainer will fulfill his obligation but he said in interviews a number of times now that Roach wasn't even there for a lot of the time.

Comment

Kinda said when your coach isn't even there for your sparring. In that UK documentary thing on Khan he was sparring and Roach was no where to be found.

Comment

All Roach does is put the mitts on for ten minutes at a time. Ive never seen him do anything else. I'm not pretending to know wha they do in training, but I have never seen him do anything else or offer any advice unless he has the mitts on.

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
            lol.. yeah i guess so.. I mean he can't control Roach's activity, he only signs the training contract expecting that the trainer will fulfill his obligation but he said in interviews a number of times now that Roach wasn't even there for a lot of the time.
            Then he's stupid. He is paying this dude for no work. Save some $$ and get some virgins. No difference right?

Comment

Originally posted by Primera View Post
              Kinda said when your coach isn't even there for your sparring. In that UK documentary thing on Khan he was sparring and Roach was no where to be found.
              Yeah i noticed that too, Roach wasn't even there for that sparring and I still remember Khans comment (which I think I even criticized on that video when it was posted) he said "I could outbox him but it's boring".. Any half decent trainer would have drilled into him, "boxing is about hitting and not getting hit"

Comment

Originally posted by Cazadores View Post
                All Roach does is put the mitts on for ten minutes at a time. Ive never seen him do anything else. I'm not pretending to know wha they do in training, but I have never seen him do anything else or offer any advice unless he has the mitts on.
                I know what you mean, I think Roach is limited as a trainer. He was limited as a fighter too, so if he didn't demonstrate the best skills in the ring, how can he teach skills that he doesnt even know and didn't practise himself. Plus I think the illness he has is another factor which makes him even less effective as a trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
                  Yeah i noticed that too, Roach wasn't even there for that sparring and I still remember Khans comment (which I think I even criticized on that video when it was posted) he said "I could outbox him but it's boring".. Any half decent trainer would have drilled into him, "boxing is about hitting and not getting hit"
                  Why keep Roach AT ALL?

Comment

Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
                    Why keep Roach AT ALL?
                    The main benefit I think is the WildCard gym and the number of fighters and styles from all over the world that Khan could potentially spar against. But if Roach didn't have a gym like Wildcard I think Khan might have probably dropped him already. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing its the gym.

Comment

Working...
                    X