Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Would Vernon Forrest fair against Pacquiao and Mayweather Jr.?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At welterweight pre-Mayorga,Forrest is too big & had a great jab.Floyd gives him a better fight,but still losses.pacman simply gets smoked.Forrest was better at everything thanMarquez is & almost twice as big.The pre-Mayorga version smokes them.

Comment

I think Vernon would have given Floyd and Pac a lot of trouble. He was a big welter with long arms and a good punch. He had an excellent jab as well, which i think would have given Floyd a lot of problems!!!!!!

I think he would have given both problems but Floyd more because his length and I beleive his jab would have offset his speed. I think he would have given Pac problems as well, but Pac moves more and gives more angles, also he is a southpaw.

I think Manny would have been more likely to fight him, I don't think Floyd would have gone anywhere near because it would have been to risky of a fight for Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlickster View Post
        Vernon i think would have alot more trouble with Manny considering Manny's awkard style, angles, USE of speed and the fact that he LIKES fighting guys who are taller than him. Vernon has the most trouble against guys who are very unorthodox and awkward, hence why Mayorga got the best of him. Manny is even more unorthodox and considering his other attributes, he's all wrong for Forrest.

Floyd as bold as this sounds is tailor made for Forrest. Vernon's jab would give Mayweather problems. If you notice, guys who press the jab on Floyd give him problems. Mosley during the first two rounds was doing well with his jab. Judah was outjabbing Floyd. De La Hoya did very well with the jab BUT didn't commit to it like he should've. Ike Quartey would also be a nightmare for Floyd.

Besides De La Hoya, who has Floyd really foughten in the past 10 years with a very above average jab? The Shoulder roll wouldn't do much because Forrest can still get to him. Plus the way Forrest squares up against you can give counter punchers problems since his range is distorted. Kinda of like how Castillo, even in the rematch when Floyd was 100%, was still able to disrupt Floyd'd timing at times because of how he squared up against him. Plus Forrest would use his size to his advantage and effectively.

Pac > Vernon > Floyd > Pac.
        I agree eoth lmost everything you said. GOOD POST!!!! Also, you brought up a very good point that I was thinking about in saying that Ike Quartey would have given Floyd a lot of trouble. He had one of the best jabs I have ever seen and was more committed to it than anyone. He would constantly pump it out, and it wasn't pawing it was like a sledge hammer.

I don't think it was as much Mayorgas awkwardness that gave Forrest trouble. If I am not mistaken Vernon had an injury to his shoulder in both fights that didn't allow him to use his jab as normal and dodn't allow hime to keep Mayorga off him. Very good post overall though.

Other than Ike, young DeLaHoya had and excellent jab and it was classic watching the two of them go at each other exchanging jabs when they fought. Oscar also had a very stiff sledge hammer like jab, but as he aged he stopped throwing it as much and that is where thery differed because Quartey was completley committed to it.

Comment

Vernon Forrest is a very unappreciated fighter who had some very nice skills and had a style to beat many fighters when at his best!! Forrest never reached his true potential as he was held back by several injuries and a lack of fighters willing to get inside the ring with him. He was just not worth the trouble for many fighters around him back then!

Forrest-Mayweather

Mayweather has not faced a fighter like a primed Vernon Forrest, and based on his actions at Welter, nor would he have dared to.

Mayweather would be too defensive minded to get anything off meaningful and doesn't posses big power or pace to threaten the bigger Forrest. Vernon Forrest was also a skilled boxer who was taller, longer reach and more power that would have Mayweather at the end of the jab. I don't think Mayweather would be comfortable to make the risks required to get his punchers off to beat Forrest. If a shot inactive Mosley was able to land a loop overhand right and shake the world of Mayweather, I don't why Vernon Forrest would not be able to land his own signiture right hand either.

Forrest-Pac

Pac at Welterweight has not faced a fighter in their prime nor has he faced anyone of the skills and size of Vernon Forrest.

Manny Pacquaio has shown he can be hurt by timed shots against Morales/Marquez and against a boxer like Forrest who could also fight he would get hurt by the bigger man. He wouldn't be faced against slow, wide, looping, winging punchers like lately, but would be faced against a fighter from the outdside shooting straight punchers. His big right hand would be the demise to the southpaw stance coming in.

Based on the lack of quality opponents both Mayweather and Pacquaio have faced at Welterweight, I don't believe they would have had enough to beat a big Welterweight boxer who could also bang.

Neither at Welterweight (post Lightweight) have really shown the willingness to challenge themselves and if fighters then didn't want to face Forrest..it doesn't give me much reason to think Floyd and Manny would have.

Vernon Forrest is a bad match for both fighters, just too big, too skilled. The great jab and big right hand would undo both fighters.

R.I.P Vernon 'The Viper' Forrest!

Comment

Vernon doesn't beat Mayweather, more of a chance vs Pacquiao. Vernon could beat Pacquioao, maybe KO him.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
              Sorry homie.....this was way b4 Floyd became a PPV attraction.

I actually use to be a Floyd fan back in the day and followed alot of his career, and remember reading about his sparring sessions with Forrest.

While I know you don't show everything in sparring, the way they describe those sessions and the eagerness they displayed in wanting to get that fight, let me know they were extremely confident in Floyd winning.

Usually when a fighter comes out that quick wanting a fight, then 100% of the time they must have seen something they can exploit.
              kinda like spaddy/Floyd situation?

Comment

floyd tapped up vernon when they sparred years ago---manny would do okay with vernon but manny's deense is too weak for vernon----vernon is a southpaw also---mayorga was a right handed fighter---vernon would dust manny imo---and floyd would tag vernon up---i remember the sparring matches between them two----floyd's style is the only style i have seen that can beat any style--no matter who he fights---

oscar jabbed floyd a few times, and floyd took his distance from him, which is why he stopped throwing it---he lost confidence in it---which is why floyd adjusts better than the rest---

floyd is still going to toe tag manny too--don't 4get b1tches-lol

Comment

I honestly think they would've both ducked him to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Heebarican View Post
                    I think Manny stylistically matches up better with him, but I think his height and reach would give the much smaller Manny plenty of trouble. I'm going to go with Forrest by a close decision.

Margarito was just half an inch smaller than Forrest with the same reach and Pacquiao didnt have any problems with that discrepancy. Just a thought.

Forrest's boxing ability gives both Floyd and Manny problems and i lean towards him but could see ways Floyd and Manny could beat him.

Comment

Working...
                    X