Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some one pls explain to me...What is so special about Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chris232 View Post
    roman gonzalez has a better cv. Alright yeah kessler was a decent enough fighter, will put that down as 2 good wins for ward. Still dont think abraham was/is any good at all and dont see that as a great win. What im trying to get at is that his wins from the past arent amazing enough to compensate for his dog**** last few years.
    It's pretty hard to compare, I think you can argue Roman Gonzalez does have a better resume than Andre Ward, I personally don't think so. His wins are very solid, but there is no one who really stands out, you get the impression that he has been the best of an average bunch thus far, his place on top of the pound for pound list is based around the fact that he is a 3 weight world champion undefeated amateur and pro, and has a tonne of knockouts, but the guys he has beaten thus far, there is no one really elite in there. I think the Cuadras fight will reveal a lot.

He beat everyone there was to beat in a hot division, Andre Dirrel aside.

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      what good is power, if you cant land enough shots to win....common sense...dude is talking in circles.

Power means no more or less in any division.

skills>power
      Skills trump power for sure, but I think its better to have power and not need it, than to not have it and need it. It also helps even in a skilful style, which is the point I think he is trying to make. We'll only know if he loses whether it would have made a difference or not, I do think it makes things that much harder against Kovalev. I personally think he carries enough power and accuracy to discourage Kovalev because Sergey doesn't necessarily have the sturdiest of chins, we will find out in November.

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        what good is power, if you cant land enough shots to win....common sense...dude is talking in circles.

Power means no more or less in any division.

skills>power

i'm the one who hasn't watched boxing for a while?

you VERY OBVIOUSLY don't watch HW boxing if you think that power at HW is no more of a factor than punching power at featherweight. and that you don't or have not watched HW enough to understand the implication of power and resistance in a division where everybody is a big puncher is probably a product of your being a fanboy of a fighter without great finishing ability or punching power. that doesn't mean he's not a great fighter, but he's a limited one.

and finally, that you polarize skills and punching power might be the most remarkable. there's been a pro - floyd / anti - pacquiao narrative created that polarizes punching power and skills. it's a weird look. you guys do this, of course, because floyd isn't perceived as a puncher, and you're on damage control.

tommy hearns didn't have skills?
        joe louis?
        ray robinson?

i just named three of the very best punchers ever. they weren't just winging away. they had plenty of skills. tommy hearns got on his toes after being hurt and boxed with ray leonard and worked his way back into the fight.

they were dangerous, something andre ward [or floyd, for that matter,] really isn't, because of the punching power. you fail to recognize this as an asset or a flaw beacuse of your faboyism for floyd. then you project your biases onto others. it is what it is, and everybody knows it. yes, there are biased pro pacquiao posters, but most of them moved on from bscene. god knows why you're still letting a retired fighter run your life .

Comment

• Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
          It's pretty hard to compare, I think you can argue Roman Gonzalez does have a better resume than Andre Ward, I personally don't think so. His wins are very solid, but there is no one who really stands out, you get the impression that he has been the best of an average bunch thus far, his place on top of the pound for pound list is based around the fact that he is a 3 weight world champion undefeated amateur and pro, and has a tonne of knockouts, but the guys he has beaten thus far, there is no one really elite in there. I think the Cuadras fight will reveal a lot.

He beat everyone there was to beat in a hot division, Andre Dirrel aside.
          fair enough mate

Comment

• Originally posted by chris232 View Post
            so within last 5 years he beats bad chad dawson, rodriguz, paul smith, barrera and brand, and in your view that is enough for him to be in top 3 in the world?
            And he doesn't look like he has lost a beat.

Comment

• he is the most well rounded fighter in all of boxing imo.

technically he is a master. it starts with his sublime footwork which is complimented by very good footspeed. he moves well, punches while on the move and has a tremendous understanding of angles and positioning. a skill that casual fans dont recognize but which is huge in boxing.

i could write a book on the subject so let me just say he is a tremendous technician, his headmovement and blocking/parrying is just as good as his movement making him a tremdnous defensive fighter. offensively he has a wide arsenal of punches from both stances to the head or body that are accurate, fast as lightning, flow like water in combinations and come of his defense brilliantly as counters.

he can fight at any range and has the ability to dictate where the fight goes with his jab and footwork. you seldom see fighters with both those qualities.

physically he is very strong, fast, has great reflexes and excellent stamina. his balance and body control is tremendous. not much to say except that he is a tremendous athlete.

but what really gets him ahead is his mental capacity. he is the smartest fighter in the sport, out thinking his opponents and picking them apart like a surgeon using the most well rounded game in the sport. he is mentally strong and very confident but because of his intelligence he never underestimates anyone or allows himself to let up. dude, is just tough as nails. the heart of a conquering lion, with the approach and intelligence of a scientist savant, the athletic prowess of a monster and the obsession of a maniac.

kovalev has a punchers chance against anyone, but thats all he has. ward is in a league of his own that nobody gets close to. not rigo, not golovkin, not roman gonzales or crawford. i acctually dont like him much as a person, but as a fighter he is simply the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by sicko View Post
                Excellent Jab (both to head and body)

Excellent Defense

Great Head Movement

Masterful at Controlling Distance

Strong Inside Game

Quick from the outside

Quick Feet

Excellent Reflexes

Excellent Timing

Ability To Adjust

Very High In Ring IQ

Excellent Body Puncher

Excellent at Countering

Ward does everything well, the only thing he doesn't have is 1 Punch Power which fans of this ERA are obsessed with but yet these guys with all this "POWER" seems to always lose big matches vs SKILLED FIGHTERS who are said to have "NO POWER". Hard to beat a guy when you're coming in depending on Power and hoping to score a KO! He can beat you many ways while you can only beat him 1 way and that is to land big and knock him out. However if you can't land big on him 99.9% of these "BIG POWER FIGHTERS" are losing to Skilled Boxers!

Sorry but Emotionally Attachment, Racism or whatever people do on this forum, none of that will help your favorite fighter win, the best fighter WILL WIN! Fans somehow think their hate impacts the fight which is the funniest **** ever "Well If I Hate Him And Get Others To Hate Him He Might Lose" sorry it doesn't work like that people!
                Perfect post.

Comment

• Ward proved he was special many years ago by dominating 168. He has done nothing special since KOing Dawson many years ago. The very average fighters he has easily defeated since Dawson have not proven his is still special. Kovalev has proven he is special right now by dominating 175 the way Ward used to dominate 168 many years ago. If Ward can beat Kovalev or even put up a good fight then he is still special. That's my take on it anyway. You are only as good as your last few fights regardless of what you did 5 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                    he is the most well rounded fighter in all of boxing imo.

technically he is a master. it starts with his sublime footwork which is complimented by very good footspeed. he moves well, punches while on the move and has a tremendous understanding of angles and positioning. a skill that casual fans dont recognize but which is huge in boxing.

i could write a book on the subject so let me just say he is a tremendous technician, his headmovement and blocking/parrying is just as good as his movement making him a tremdnous defensive fighter. offensively he has a wide arsenal of punches from both stances to the head or body that are accurate, fast as lightning, flow like water in combinations and come of his defense brilliantly as counters.

he can fight at any range and has the ability to dictate where the fight goes with his jab and footwork. you seldom see fighters with both those qualities.

physically he is very strong, fast, has great reflexes and excellent stamina. his balance and body control is tremendous. not much to say except that he is a tremendous athlete.

but what really gets him ahead is his mental capacity. he is the smartest fighter in the sport, out thinking his opponents and picking them apart like a surgeon using the most well rounded game in the sport. he is mentally strong and very confident but because of his intelligence he never underestimates anyone or allows himself to let up. dude, is just tough as nails. the heart of a conquering lion, with the approach and intelligence of a scientist savant, the athletic prowess of a monster and the obsession of a maniac.

kovalev has a punchers chance against anyone, but thats all he has. ward is in a league of his own that nobody gets close to. not rigo, not golovkin, not roman gonzales or crawford. i acctually dont like him much as a person, but as a fighter he is simply the best.
                    All you say about Ward is true, but Rigo is the superior athlete, by far. He's a lot smoother in the ring than Ward. Not to say Ward isn't smooth, but Rigo floats on water... Better footwork, faster more explosive hands too.

Ward is very gifted and talented, a super hard and dedicated worker, but he is not a monster of athlete like Rigo, or Roy Jones jr, or Manny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
                      How the hell am I "doing it?" That guy brought up race not me. Shut up with your idiocy.
                      anybody who aint a black panther is an idiot

Comment

Working...
                      X