No announcement yet.

British amateur boxer dies after bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British amateur boxer dies after bout

An amateur boxer who collapsed just minutes after taking part in a 'white-collar fight' has died.

Lance Ferguson-Prayogg, 32, lost consciousness after losing the fight against Shaun White at The Forum in Nottingham on Saturday.

Paramedics were called to the venue and took Ferguson-Prayogg to Queen's Medical Centre at Nottingham University Hospital NHS Trust.

The boxer, who was ranked sixth in the super middleweight Organised International Boxing Association (OIBA) rankings, died on Sunday.

12 Quays Gym, in Wallasey, Wirral, where Mr Ferguson-Prayogg trained, tweeted: 'R.I.P. to one of our finest boxers... we are all totally devastated.'

Speaking after the fight, Shaun White said: 'The fight finished and just as he left the ring, he collapsed.

'It is one of those situations where you just don't know what to say but my heart goes out to all his friends and family and I send my heartfelt condolences to them.'

Tributes have been pouring in on social media for the boxer who was ranked sixth in the super middleweight Organised International Boxing Association (OIBA) rankings.

Lance Ferguson-Prayogg, 33, pictured in the gym where he trained in Wirral, Merseyside

His trainer Micky Alan wrote on Facebook: 'I just want everybody to know that the past 30 hours taught me a lot. And I got what people call the boxing trainer's worst nightmare.

'I hope people know that Lance's partner, daughter and family will need a lot of help no matter how okay they say they are. I want to thank Lee Jackson who stuck with Lance and me right through.

'Lee was running about like a mad man all night. I'll never forget that.

'R I P top boxer Lance.'

She added: 'First aid and medics, who look after a lot of boxers on the shows in Liverpool, have looked after Lance.

'They do the medical checks on all the boxers before the fights and always make sure they are safe.

'They do an amazing job, and they are very well-respected within the boxing community.'

Marcellus Baz, from the Nottingham School of Boxing, described the fight that the man had taken part in as 'white collar boxing'.

He told the BBC: 'It's not a governed sport... it's got to be governed, it's got to have more safety.'

White-collar boxing got its name because it mostly involves men and women from white-collar professions. Many have had no previous boxing experience.

Robert Smith, of the British Boxing Board of Control said: 'The British Boxing Board of Control is the recognised authority of professional boxing.

'We do not recognise white-collar boxing. They are not professional. We think people are putting themselves at risk.

'There are a number of safety requirements and we know how much that costs to make sure people can take part in the sport that can be dangerous.

'Just because someone puts on the gloves in the ring doesn't mean they are a professional boxer.

'Obviously this is very sad for the gentleman's family and friends.'

Condolences to his family.

Comment

Another tragic story and another ring warrior lost. Condolences go out to his family and friends.

Comment

Rest In Paradise! My deepest Condolences to the grieving families!!!

Comment

R.I.P - Sympathy and respect to those left behind.

Comment

Sad to hear like 2pac said The Good Die Young. R.I.P.

Comment

Sad news.

'White-collar' boxing. Hmm... Sounds like Fight Club for real.

Comment

This was on Sherdogs Boxing sub forum aswell. Really sad to hear.

Condolences and best wishes to his family.

Comment

A MAN arrested following a major police drugs investigation in the Birkenhead area, code-named Operation Priory, was jailed for 5 1 /2 years yesterday.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that 21-year-old Lance Prayogg was arrested after selling heroin and crack cocaine to undercover police officers.

Prayogg, of Harrowby Road, Birkenhead, pleaded guilty to 11 offences of supplying the drugs on six dates between May and August and possessing crack cocaine when he was arrested in October.

Jailing him, Judge David Swift said that the operation had been set up because of concern by local residents about drug abuse in Birkenhead and northeast Wirral.

Such drug dealing adversely affects the quality of life, he said: ``It is a major source of concern, a curse upon those affected and a blight on the area where it occurs. There is a clear need to ensure that those who deal or are tempted to deal in these drugs know it will result in long sentences.''

Steven Swift, defending, said that Prayogg, who has previous convictions but none for drugs, had been drawn into the offences by his own addiction.
                  A news story from 2002.

I went to the same high school as this man. He was well known for being a drug dealer/hard man/bully/petty criminal in the local and surrounding areas for years.

Sad to see anyone die as a result of participating in the sport we all love.

Comment

A heroin and crack dealer? Can't feel sorry for people like him who don't care if his victims who buy/bought his drugs would survive the day.

Comment

Working...
                    X