Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of Boxings underated aspects.......A controlled corner in b/w rounds?!?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of Boxings underated aspects.......A controlled corner in b/w rounds?!?!

I was recently watching the Miguel Cotto V Zab Judah fight,and I suddenly had an epihany.........During the first 3 rounds in which Judah had won 2 out of 3 on my card, with the 3rd being a 2 point round bc of the point deduction, his corner seemed controlled and stable.....After the 3rd round and the 2nd or 3rd low blow from Cotto, it seemed like all hell broke loose in his corner and there fighter seemingly unraveled with it....Yoel was attempting to calm Judah down, but at the same time was animated enough about the illegal shots that the ref, Arthur Mercante Jr., came over to talk to Judah, at one point whispering in his ear not to retaliate....During this, his cutman was also getting involved and was heavily talking to Judah...From this point on in the fight it was all Cotto, and during each 1 minute rest time, Judah was being harrased almost by his trainer Yoel, and his cutman, another Judah.....This is something that really can get to a fighter, or soo it would seem....One too many ppl talking, distractions about another fighters antics from his trainer, etc...

I remember the way Lennox Lewis would conduct himself during the break, his eyes glued on Emmanuel Steward throughout the minute, not even glancing over to get a drink, simply opening his mouth and waiting for the straw, point being, he always listened, and remained focused on the task at hand during each rest period....

Now of course this is not true in all cases, such as Roy Jones Jr,....He seems to look every which way, most of his fights looking over towards Derrick "Smoke" Gainer who was always seated close at ringside, always taking in what he had to say as well as Alton Merkerson...And at times, he would even tell Alton what he was seeing, what he was going to do, and he would do it....Perfect case being the Trinidad fight, he continued to talk about openings that he would see, and how he was going to exploit them, and then he landed that overhand right in the 7th /i believe that put Trinidad down....Now although Jones was always aware of his surroundings, he always sat, and listened to everything being told to him as well as put in a few of his own points....

How important do you guys feel it is to have a steady corner, one that continues not to distract a fighter???
    One that seemingly continues to be controlled even in the most difficult times??

PS....My feeling is that obviously u need a talented fighter, but one who has the ability to listen, and realize what and who is in front of him no matter what talent level the trainer is........IN MOST CIRCUMSTANCES THE CORNER IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE FIGHTER DURING EVERY SINGLE ROUND OF EVERY SINGLE FIGHT!!

Much love ppl!!!

Ill be back in about 15 mins to discuss this thread sorry that I gotta peel for a minute!!!

dude, people have known yoel to be a terrible presence in zab's corner for years. but i agree: 1 person (the trainer) talks. everyone else tends to the fighter calmly. even in am fights i hate having more than 1 person talking to me.

Comment

I don't think it matters much.
      Especially to a black fighter like Judah.

I mention his race because blacks are loud and are used to alot of people talking.

Comment

Remember Floyd's fight with Henry Bruseles when Lampley pointed out, "What might seem to be arguing to us, is just casual talk to the Mayweathers."

Meaning loud talk and commotion is typical of blacks.

Comment

God I hate myself.

Comment

Originally posted by jack_the_rippuh View Post
            I don't think it matters much.
            Especially to a black fighter like Judah.

I mention his race because blacks are loud and are used to alot of people talking.
            that is, until a white woman walks by, in which all conversation stops, and we all oogle at the greatness of her milky white skin, her soft blonde hair and her beautiful flat butt.

A white woman walking by a crowd of black men is like freezing time on that old show "Out of this World"

Comment

...I'm black but your race baiting was still funny

Comment

A calm and stable corner is very important to a fighter, you don't want 3 guys shouting different instructions into your ears, just makes you confused. I always believe in 1 guy doing the talking in between rounds and that should be the trainer.

And Yoel is horrible in the corner, gives terrible instructions and sometimes doesn't give instructions at all, he sometimes just shadowboxes while making noises.

Comment

This thread is a breath of fresh air.

A calm and collected corner is crucial in any fight. It settles the fighter down, gives him the confidence that everything is under control even after a bad round. Joe Goosen is one example I can think of. Clear, precise, collected.

I also love to listen in on the corner and analyze what they're saying then see if the fighter implements the adjustment that was suggested by the corner. It's also interesting to see if the given instructions are actually helping to the fighter.

Comment

I love Mayweather's corner. Uncle Roger telling him exactly what he needs to know ("you ain't gotta move away from that mutha****a - you hurtin' him inside"), his best friend calmly re-assuring him, abnd the wisdom and experience of Rafael garcia pulling it all together.

The only hiccup they ever had was the Zab fight. And even then, Roger was doing GREAT until he wigged.

Zab's corner is absolute trash.

I also love Diego Corrales' (RIP) corner. Goossen is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X