No announcement yet.

George Groves not happy with 15%; will lobby IBF for more

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Groves not happy with 15%; will lobby IBF for more

The Carl Froch v George Groves rematch saga rumbles on. Groves is lobbying the IBF again, this time regarding their ruling which relates to a minimum 15 per cent of the purse for a challenger who is not at the top of their rankings.

It was reported that Hammersmith’s Groves was offered a seven figure sum by Matchroom, albeit with options, before the outcome of his first IBF appeal which ruled that he should rematch with Carl Froch within 90 days due to the unsatisfactory ending to their previous contest, which, it was considered, was stopped prematurely.

However, because Groves is not the IBF’s ‘top rated’ challenger (positions 1 and 2 are ‘Not Rated’ at present - Brandon Gonzales, Maksim Vlasov and James DeGale sit above 6th placed Groves), their ruling means that Groves receives a minimum of 15 per cent of the purse. So he’s going back to the IBF with trainer Paddy Fitzpatrick to try and carve a bigger slice.

Promoter Eddie Hearn, who appears to be having difficulties getting this one in the can, said:

"Right now the IBF have ordered the rematch to take place, they have ordered an 85-15 split and George Groves has appealed that split."

"We have until February the 4th to come to some sort of agreement or the fight will go out to purse bids.

"So if the Groves thing drags out, we could be ‘forced’ into looking into the (Chavez Jr) option."

It seems the only person keen on a fight with Chavez Jnr is Froch, and that’s understandable. For the Groves rematch, Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium (60,000) and Nottingham’s City Ground (30,000) have been mooted as possible venues recently. The UK fans demand for the fight is indeed huge, but Froch still has their boos ringing in his ears and given his dislike for Groves, you just can’t see him giving any financial quarter.

The IBF could well adjust their ruling in Groves’ favour - it wouldn’t be completely out of character for a sanctioning body to make it up as it went along. Getting the fight on is in its interests, and it’s got bills to pay.

A purse bid situation could be interesting but bad news for Matchroom/SKY and would probably see Froch vacate the title. An IBF spokesperson said: “If for some reason Froch gave up the title then we would order the two highest-rated guys to fight for the vacant belt. Since we already ordered Groves to fight Froch, he would be likely to be one of the guys to fight for that vacant title.”

A vacant title usually means a 50-50 purse split, but it’s doubtful that 50 per cent of anything is bigger than 15 per cent of the Froch rematch at the moment. Although a rematch with James DeGale for the belt could maybe come close, and there would be no shortage of promoters willing to stage it.

If the IBF don’t change their minds, it’s deal or no deal for Groves, but he should have plenty of options regardless.

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2014/geo...-happy-15-cent
    Dear oh dear,

Well Groves appears to have shot himself in the foot.

Comment

Well, might be in an either/or situation

Comment

Being honest, he does deserve more than 15%. Not the majority or even close, but 75-25 would even be more fair. Wouldn't surprise me if Froch vacated the title and fight JCC Jr. Froch and Groves can always rematch later in the year. I'd like to see Froch-Chavez Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
          Being honest, he does deserve more than 15%. Not the majority or even close, but 75-25 would even be more fair. Wouldn't surprise me if Froch vacated the title and fight JCC Jr. Froch and Groves can always rematch later in the year. I'd like to see Froch-Chavez Jr.
          I think Froch's initial offer was close to 75-25, but the IBF ruling means Groves is only entitled to 15%. The appeal kind of backfired financially.
          Last edited by Weebler I; 01-29-2014, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
            What he can do is mandate it and try and force Froch's hand to vacate the title to fight Chavez Jr.... but ll depends on what the IBF does.

Comment

Froch will not vacate the IBF title because his 'regular' WBA title doesn't mean shit seeing as Andre Ward holds the 'super' WBA title.

If Froch vacated the IBF he would be ridiculed if he went after Chavez and called the bout a world title fight instead of facing the real WBA champion.

As for Groves, he really is tiring me with all these appeals. Just take what you can get and tap that ass. Froch is a spent force, Groves should in theory walk over him.

Comment

Genius
                Billionaire
                Playboy
                Philanthropist

Comment

You shouldn't have turned down 25% then, you jackass.

Comment

I really hope IBF grant him a bigger slice of the purse too, I can imagine Froch going absolutely **** and throwing his toys around and spitting his food out.

Comment

Working...
                    X