Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rematches occur after 1sided wins 25-30 years ago?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rematches occur after 1sided wins 25-30 years ago?

Did this **** ever happen in the golden era of boxing?

How can you promote and sell a Pac/Cotto II? I mean, you could barely sell the Cotto/Margarito rematch due to the scandal. But this is ridiculous, who the hell (besides ******* Nation) can support this bull**** fight?

Rematches are for close decisions. You didnt see a Tyson/Douglas rematch (granted JBD lost the title soon after beating Tyson)

Wow, I was seriously going to make a thread with this topic. I was wondering the same thing, has there been a fight in the past under these circumstances? Where a rematch occurs after a one sided beating? How's Bob gonna sell this? "In the first fight, Manny got the best of Miguel. But now Miguel has a REAL trainer!"

I really hope this fight doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
      Wow, I was seriously going to make a thread with this topic. I was wondering the same thing, has there been a fight in the past under these circumstances? Where a rematch occurs after a one sided beating? How's Bob gonna sell this? "In the first fight, Manny got the best of Miguel. But now Miguel has a REAL trainer!"

Lmao funny thing a rican just said that in another thread. The result will be the same.

Comment

There's some exceptions, but rematches to one-sided title fights are usually after there has been an upset.

This one doesn't qualify as Pacquiao was the favorite over Cotto.

There was also rematches as the defeated fighter became the mandatory challenger (Hagler-Hamsho for example), but again this doesn't qualify.
        Last edited by Thread Stealer; 01-19-2012, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
          There's some exceptions, but rematches to one-sided fights are usually after there has been an upset.

This one doesn't qualify as Pacquiao was the favorite over Cotto.
          i know theyve happened but theres usually a contractual reason for it

there was no rematch clause for their first fight. why? both are top rank

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post

at least now they're going to fight at a weight that Cotto's comfortable in...

oh wait.....

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
              Did this **** ever happen in the golden era of boxing?

How can you promote and sell a Pac/Cotto II? I mean, you could barely sell the Cotto/Margarito rematch due to the scandal. But this is ridiculous, who the hell (besides ******* Nation) can support this bull**** fight?

Rematches are for close decisions. You didnt see a Tyson/Douglas rematch (granted JBD lost the title soon after beating Tyson)
              as per the Cotto/Margarito II, That fight promoted itself and did very well. That fight and hype was bigger than the first one IMO.

as per the PPV sales, He will stack up the card. He will put Chavez jr, Bam Bam vs Gamboa, Arce vs Donaire on the undercard and he will sell the card with a large portion of Puerto Ricans, Mexicans & Filipinos buying the PPV. Its not hard to figure out Arum.

Comment

Working...
              X