Promoting in 2014

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting in 2014

Ok, these are the rules:

You have a great sum of money and the only promotional commodities you can't have are Manny, Wlad and Floyd, what other fighters would you choose to promote in the year 2014??

You can pick 10 fighters, no more than 2 from any one division.

You must also pick a TV network you would ally yourself with in the US, do the same if you're a UK fan (like me), so Boxnation or SkySports or Channel 5 etc.

Let the fun begin (also, write a little about why you would promote this guy and what path you would take him down).

My 10 fighters would be:

Being from the UK I'd set up a contract with SkySports, by far the biggest sporting channel in the country. I'd also work up a relationship with GBP in the US, I know HBO is bigger with more subscribers but I just feel GBP have a

Tyson Fury: Just the first name that came to mind in terms of heavyweights. Kid is skilled yet vulnerable, which always makes his bouts exciting. Plus he can talk up a promotion and he seems to be willing to fight most. Promoting a Klitschko fight would be HUGE, raking in millions, tens of millions. But first I'd have him rematch Chisora, then fight Browne and then end the year with a Klit PPV.

Yuriorkis Gamboa: This would be a passion project of mine. Gamboa, about 3 years ago was one oft he most talented and skilled fighters on the planet heading towards big things but now, aged 32, without a division and without a major push, he is almost lost. I don't want him to be. If he was comfortable staying at 135, I'd bring him to the UK to fight Murray and Mitchell, in the span of about 6 months. I think he beats them both and then end the year with a title shot against one of the weaker champions at LW.

Carl Frampton: There are big things in store for this kid and his path to superstardom is pretty straightforward. First things first, get that Cruz fight, I'd pull out all the stops, try and make Cruz travel but if not that's ok, the fight is important for exposure and the title. If Frampton wins then set up a big summer clash against Quigg (PPV) and end the year defending a title against someone like Salinas, just to rub salt in Quigg's wounds by beating him well.

Ruslan Provodnikov: What's there not to like? He hits hard and loves to be in a fight. A promoter's dream, only problem is the language but we've seen it doesn't matter all that much when you let your fists do the talking. Provodnikov v Peterson would be my priority and then maybe a fight against Judah who doesn't want to retire. That should get him enough exposure to have a huge fight, possibly PPV against Garcia (expecting Garcia to keep winning by the end of '14 and building a fanbase).

Scott Quigg: Would just make the Frampton PPV so much easier to make and it has the possibility of being a massive British event, open air stadium and all! Basically hiring him to be fed but if he does beat Frampton, I'm in a win-win situation.

Keith Thurman: One of the better prospects at 147, his power seems to be good but his chin hasn't always been up to scratch, getting wobbled against less than top opposition but it would be great promoting him. He has a charisma about him and his style can sell tickets. First thing, get that Maidana fight then the porter fight and become a unified champ in 2014, making a big money Floyd clash inevitable in 2015.

I'll post the other 4 later, gotta run

Come on guys, though you;d jump on this one!

the other 4 I'd promote are:

Anthony Joshua
    Gennady Golovkin
    Nonito Donaire
    Kal Yafai

Comment

Working...
    X