No announcement yet.

Why Are Older Boxers Over-Rated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    But he didn't. He fought pretty much everyone that mattered, at least until the end. And I say that as someone who can't stand Leonard.
    Yeah he did that over 10 years

Comment

Fighters back then fought frequently, less titles, 15 round fights, etc. What you are missing is the build up for the fight that you are getting now with the fighters that you are currently watching. Reading about it is not the same as living tru it.

Modern medicine has improved the conditioning of an athlete but it doesn't mean that all the technics of the past didn't work cause a lot of it is still in use today.

They will be great fighters to come and the ones we have today but it has gotten so diluted with all the weight classes and different titles and it is not forcing them to fight each other.

Back in the day even being a contender for the title was a big thing.

Comment

There is no doubt that all the belts are bad for boxing but it doesn't make anybody less of a fighter.

Comment

Those great boxers earned their hype, by far compared to today's stars. Look how much overrated is Canelo who's best fight was a beatdown of a inactive lightweight.
          I believe media makes a hero of anyone today. ($$$)

Comment

its not so much that old boxers are overrated, just that were comparing todays fighters with the greatest fighters to walk the earth.

ie Cotto vs Leonard everyone would pick Leonard(rightly so). but if you have Cotto against say Aaron Davis or Lloyd Honeyghan or someone, then wed have a discussion going. well probably not since people wouldnt get as interested, but it would be a much fairer fight.

past time boxers can be underrated highly, because people will look at the record and say 'who were all these guys?'. If you dont understand the divisions they fought in, you wont understand how meaningful all those wins really were.

Comment

How are they? I fail to see your point.

Back up your statement, because my guess is most people here pick Ali over Marciano.

Here are some of the reasons why they are picked more often.

Less Divisions
              More Comp
              Fought That Harder Comp
              Fought More Often

Comment

Originally posted by straightleft View Post
                That is why he needs to take the OST right? I don't know why this kind of people allowed to post here when they can't make up their mind which one they should believe.
                What's your goddamn race, boy?

Comment

Because how are you supposed to compare the ATG's of the modern era I.e Manny Pacqiauo and Floyd Mayweather, who have 40-50 fights each with wins over 2 or 3 HOF'ers each.

To someone like Harry Greb who has over 200 wins and beaten numerous HOF'ers?

You just can't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Boiled View Post
                    Why is it if you make a thread along the lines off : Retired Boxer -V- Active Boxer, The vast majority will always pick the retired boxer to beat the active boxer?

For instance in Ali days, People said Marciano -V- Ali, Marciano would win they even made a computer simulation. If you make a thread about any retired boxer -V- an active boxer the majority will always pick the retired boxer no matter what.

I think its a false notion that retired boxers were somehow better than current active boxers because they went 15 rounds instead of 12 baring in mind they did not have the kind of strength and conditioning then that they did now.
                    much of the olderfighters fought better comp/more often

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                      LOL you realize Sugar Ray Robinson fought like 10x a year right? No champion fights 10x a year anymore.

You people are so damn naive to think that if the great sugar ray robinson could make millions of dollars to fight Zab Judah he wouldn't do it
                      this is the whole point. theydidn't have that option back then,

duh....

its what makes their resumes so much more impressive.

Comment

Working...
                      X