Manny P vs Vargas WON'T be on HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    props to HBO for standing up to arum.

unfortunately, i think ward - kovalev will still do less buys. i really hope i'm wrong about that. i'll be happy if they even get in the ring, frankly.
    HBO did exactly what Arum wanted them to do. Manny contract is up with HBO which means more than likely the Vargas fight will be on Showtime. Which means a possible rematch with Floyd will have no HBO involvement at all. HBO did the right thing for the future of the company but it's profit won't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
      HBO did exactly what Arum wanted them to do. Manny contract is up with HBO which means more than likely the Vargas fight will be on Showtime. Which means a possible rematch with Floyd will have no HBO involvement at all. HBO did the right thing for the future of the company but it's profit won't see it.

Yep arum picked that date for a reason

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
        Berto vs Mayweather was 10x worse. You're talking about the #1 P4P, the best eva, no loses. And he picked Berto. That fight should have been on free tv.
        that "filth" should have been on NO TV

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Oh ****. This could be something really interesting if thats the case.

Obviously Manny's value isn't what it was, but for sure he's a guy who has value to HBO one would think. I mean even if its just to throw him in with TC early next year to potentially boost TC's popularity & resume if TC wins (which I have doubts on happening, but I'm probably in the minority with that opinion these days).

Peter Nelson for real don't like Arum lol. But I think Nelson is making a bad move if he loses Manny.

**** man HBO dropping Manny like this might mean they are legit going out of the boxing business cuz that move makes zero sense to me regardless if Manny is ****talking gay people or wanting to kill all the weed smokers. Manny is one of the all time biggest draws in boxing history & he's still probably in the top 3, top 5 draws in the sport. I mean how many cats are selling even 400k or whatever PPV's vs Tim Bradley?

Maybe pacquiao will fight one of the PBC fighters next year

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Did someone say Pacquiao vs Vargas distributed by ESPN PPV is a blockbuster announcement lol???

I'm rooting on Arum & Haymon working together to throw a Manny fight on national TV. That should show what sorta audience boxing can get on national TV even with Manny's declining popularity & skill. Probably extremely unlikely, but thats more of a thing I'd view as a blockbuster announcement. Or Showtime buys out Manny's contract or is freelancing Manny for this particular PPV. Thats blockbuster level ****.
            If it's ESPN, it's interesting because it means they're doing boxing content outside of just PBC...and that they're getting back into the boxing PPV business.

As a side note, Disney did just get 33% of BAMTech and ESPN is going to get more involved in streaming sports...would be interesting to see what boxing coverage might come from that in the future.
            Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 08-11-2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
              Maybe pacquiao will fight one of the PBC fighters next year
              If he ends up a free agent over this a ton of things are possible. I'd love to see Thurman vs Pacquiao & I don't hate Pacquiao's chances at all in that fight.

People keep throwing fantasy L's at Pacquiao in a prospective fight with Crawford among others as of late, but I thought Pacquaio looked better than any fighter in a long time in a fight many expected would be his final fight. Bradley ain't no pushover.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
                If it's ESPN, it's interesting only because it means they're doing boxing content outside of just PBC...and that they're getting back into the boxing PPV business.

As a side note, Disney did just purchase 33% of BAMTech and ESPN is going to get more involved in streaming sports...would be interesting to see what boxing coverage might come from that in the future.
                Didn't know all that. That is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                  Arum said if HBO passes on this fight, then manny is a free agent.

So showtime doesn't have to buyout manny contract
                  Yep, both Rafael and Iole have written the comment that he'd be free agent if HBO passes.

This would make things really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SCEN3RY View Post
                    That was an "attack?" he didn't attack him, he called it like it was, he called it like Manny flat out said himself...he's coming back for money first and foremost. There's nothing disrespectful in that.
                    He attacked him for not fighting Crawford when its obvious why he didn't - he didn't want to jeopardize a fight with Floyd.

Comment

Don't tell it's going to be on Showtime.

Arum and Haymon are working together since he dropped his silly lawsuit.

Comment

Working...
                      X