Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MENTAL TOUGHNESS/FORTITUDE... Can it be trained/improved on?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely and w/o question, yes. Tough ain't born. It's made.

Comment

Originally posted by bose View Post
      A simple answer...Yes.
      I think this is usually worked on by developing a fighter through the ranks. Matching against competition that is inferior is the first step then slowing building stamina, skills and confidence. They say it's harder to beat an undefeated fighter because he's never been taught to lose. Your team also makes you stronger with great support. Arum does it with correct match making.

Comment

hmm

looks like theres people on both sides of the debate

interesting still

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
          i think it can be learned.....but spoiled brats like floyd and ricky martin(ts's idol) cant be tough...
          So Floyd ain't tough? Yeah right... Spoiled? You know ANYTHING about his history?

Comment

Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
            Absolutely and w/o question, yes. Tough ain't born. It's made.

It's like athleticism some people are more gifted but it can be trained, the same goes for toughness

Comment

yes, you just have to want it and be prepared to deal with what you'll have to go through to get it...........Rockin'

Comment

Yes. The kind of life you lead will show in your mentality. If you choose to take the easy way out each time then you can't expect to last in a hard fight. It's a choice, not a natural born talent.

Unfortunately a lot of people make the wrong choice.

Circumstances can also be a factor. If we say that Joe Frazier, may he rest in peace, was born while having everything handed to him, he would not have learned that toughness which made him great. He always had it in him, but he would not have required it if he never had to test himself.
                Last edited by TheGreatA; 11-10-2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

You can train yourself to have stronger mental stamina and strength BUT there is a very small percentage of people that are born with a lack of self preservation and these people will not quit under any circumstances, they will take their death before stopping.

99% of people masquerade as the latter and under the right circumstances will quit/stop, but that 1% will not quit under any circumstances.

Comment

Can anyone name a string of fighters who have quit a few times, then went on to show great heart, at least for the most part, can anyone?

I'm sort of with Vargas on this one, once a quitter always a quitter. I'd like to think otherwise but I can't see I've seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by _Hisoka View Post
                      Can anyone name a string of fighters who have quit a few times, then went on to show great heart, at least for the most part, can anyone?

I'm sort of with Vargas on this one, once a quitter always a quitter. I'd like to think otherwise but I can't see I've seen it.
                      Suzuki "Guts" Ishimatsu. He even formally changed his name to remind himself to be tough.

Roberto Duran was thought of as a quitter against Leonard the second time and went onto show great heart against the likes of Hagler, Barkley and even Castro while nearly 50 years old.

Willie Pep quit against Sandy Saddler, yet showed great heart in winning a decision over him while cut and bleeding all over the place.

Sam Langford quit against Jackson and Jeannette, and later went onto be recognized as one of the toughest fighters of his era.

Riddick Bowe was criticized as "soft" after the Olympics.

Jersey Joe Walcott was a part-time boxer early on, was rarely in shape and usually quit as the going got tough. That is until dedicating himself to the sport and becoming known as one of its toughest competitors.

Vitali Klitschko?

Rocky Marciano actually lost his first amateur fight by kicking a guy after being frustrated by not being able to get at him. This taught him never to enter another fight out of shape.
                      Last edited by TheGreatA; 11-10-2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X