No announcement yet.

I'm such a dumb ass in math

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Don't worry about long posts, i'm willing to go through whole entire books of math explanations.

But wow, as dumb as I am in math, you broke it down really well. I've yet to see a breakdown like this on any math website. Are you a teacher or math tutor?
    No, but I enjoy explaining things to people in an easy-to-understand manner (especially math). If you ever need help with something that you're not quite getting from the books you're reading, feel free to send me a PM. I'll try to help out when I can.

Good luck, -Kev-.

Comment

Thanks for offering to help I would have not bothered you with PM's if you never offered. I have a feeling I will be PM'ing you about that. But i've never seen you around here before, are you a lurker, or you changed your username? Do you sign in often?

Man you're two years younger than me but you're way smarter. That is very common for me in this subject, I run in to a lot of younger people who are just levels above me in math.

Comment

Thanks for offering to help I would have not bothered you with PM's if you never offered. I have a feeling I will be PM'ing you about that. But i've never seen you around here before, are you a lurker, or you changed your username? Do you sign in often?

Man you're two years younger than me but you're way smarter. That is very common for me in this subject, I run in to a lot of younger people who are just levels above me in math.
        I'm basically a lurker. I initially used my boxingscene account in the Training and Nutrition forum, but since I've stopped going to the gym, I decided to check out the lounge. I rarely post in the lounge as well.

I simply made sure that I learned the basics when they were presented to me and I tried not to ever fall behind in my maths classes. I've had a couple of friends who were truly gifted in maths, and I'm not near one of them. I'm not the kind of person that can develop theories and grasp very arcane topics at first sight. I'll need to really dig into the material and understand what is going on.

Comment

So you have to find out what number goes in to both 24 and 60? Which is 12?

Alright, how about smaller problems like t^2 - 4t?
          Then it's simply a case of removing a factor again, except this time the only thing you can take from both numbers is "t".

So you end up with t(t - 4)

With powers by the way if you divide powers you take away the powers.

So if you have say x^4 and divide it by x^2 that gives 4-2 giving a power of 2 or x^2.

If you multiply powers you add them for instance.

x^3 times x^497. 3 + 497 = 500 gives x^500.

There is also a few technical terms you might want to familiarise yourself with.

Indice - The same as power eg: an indice of 2 gives x^2.

Variable - Something that is not a defined number, usually a letter or symbol eg: x or t.

Co-efficient - A number that is multiplying a variable eg: the co-efficient of 5x^2 is 5.

Constant - A constant is an ordinary value with no variables eg: 5 or 20 or 2 or any number.

Comment

if u have the right foundation as a child such as knowing your number sense and algebraic function you'll probably ahve an easy time with math all your life. all it takes is one teacher who drills the **** out of you in elementary level and you're pretty much good to go for the rest of your life. that's what happened to me when i was in grade school in the philippines where teacher time me when i do multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction problems.

Comment

Crap, this thread makes me feel stupid. I need to go back to school, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                Crap, this thread makes me feel stupid. I need to go back to school, lol.

Lol, all jokes aside, a 62 year old African man graduated from my friend's college with an associate's degree. Plus, 17% of graduates this year in his school were over 30 years old. So it's never too late.

Comment

Well the first step to solving a problem is admitting that there is one. Secondly, I admire that you want to proactively improve yourself. Third, what has to change is your attitude. If you want to overcome a problem, you have to come in positively.

What I find most often with people who struggle with math is that their methodology is all wrong. It's possible to teach one's self math straight out of the book, but sometimes others need a different way of stimulation.

I suggest looking at the Wolfram Alpha website to see the specific steps to solving a math problem. You can literally type any sort of math problem in Wolfram and it will spit out a lot of information at you.

Comment

You aren't going to learn/master it over night. I suggest not trying to take any shortcut routes (math for dummies, etc) and just start from square one. Build your basics/fundamentals and you should grasp the later concepts much more effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
                      if u have the right foundation as a child such as knowing your number sense and algebraic function you'll probably ahve an easy time with math all your life. all it takes is one teacher who drills the **** out of you in elementary level and you're pretty much good to go for the rest of your life. that's what happened to me when i was in grade school in the philippines where teacher time me when i do multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction problems.
                      Depends on how far you want to take it. I found the higher stages of Math rather difficult (specifically calculus), but then again they were supposed to be

Comment

Working...
                      X