Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Nunn vs Iran Barkley

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barkley vs Greald Mccellan was one of the best of the 90's not to happen! urban legend has back in his kronk days gerald mccellan would take heavybags of the hindges with that straight right like it was nothink, the g man would only really spar heavyweight, which some people think was his down fall haveing gym wars with heavyweights is no good for the head. Barkley was a great amature he won a bronze at the world championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
      one dimensional Brit Nigel Benn(26-1-0) would stop Barkley in 1 round in a slugfest, which may have been stopped a tad to early.
      No, you know what the problem was in this fight? Stupidly they made it with a three KD rule which is the reason Barkley lost it. I absolutely know that Barkley would have ended up knocking Benn out in this fight. Even though he was knocked down three times, he was never hurt by any of them enough to not jump up and get straight back into it. He also had Benn reeling just as much.

It was a real pity about his fight. This would have been one of the grandest wars of the nineties apart from that stupid rule. The on thing you could never do against Barkley was keep him down and in every single one of his fights he had always gotten straight back up and fought even harder.

Benn was a big front runner, especially this early in his career and he went all out against Barkley in that first round, getting battered about himself and nearly put out also. By the mid rounds he would have been dead and Barkley would have been coming on big time. Unfortunately they put in that absurd rule in a fight with guys who are known to get knocked down but get back up.

Barkley was always desperate for a rematch with Benn but never got it for some reason. He was real pissed I remember after this fight and with good reason. He lost a big fight in his career due to a foolish rule when he was still raring to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
        one dimensional Brit Nigel Benn(26-1-0) would stop Barkley in 1 round in a slugfest, which may have been stopped a tad to early.
        No, you know what the problem was in this fight? Stupidly they made it with a three KD rule which is the reason Barkley lost it. I absolutely know that Barkley would have ended up knocking Benn out in this fight. Even though he was knocked down three times, he was never hurt by any of them enough to not jump up and get straight back into it. He also had Benn reeling just as much.

It was a real pity about his fight. This would have been one of the grandest wars of the nineties apart from that stupid rule. The on thing you could never do against Barkley was keep him down and in every single one of his fights he had always gotten straight back up and fought even harder.

Benn was a big front runner, especially this early in his career and he went all out against Barkley in that first round, getting battered about himself and nearly put out also. By the mid rounds he would have been dead and Barkley would have been coming on big time. Unfortunately they put in that absurd rule in a fight with guys who are known to get knocked down but get back up.

Barkley was always desperate for a rematch with Benn but never got it for some reason. He was real pissed I remember after this fight and with good reason. He lost a big fight in his career due to a foolish rule when he was still raring to go.

It also contained some of the worst fouling I've seen recently in a title fight in which nothing happened against Benn. You have to see this fight to believe it. Benn hits Barkley in the back of the head when he is down twice, he rabbit punches blatantly throughout the entire fight, really badly. The second KD is easily as bad as the punch Barrera landed on Marquez. Barkley falls to all fours, Benn waits a few seconds and then 'BAM' cracks Barkley straight to the side of the face. Nothing happens! I actually don't know how he didn't just get straight up disqualified. It was incredible. Find this fight and check it out. This is the one reason I have always really disliked Benn as a fighter. This fight is a disgrace, Benn is a disgrace. Padilla, who I've normally liked was terrible. He didn't call the first KD a knockdown but then stops the fight after the two official KD's.....? Huh? Of course Barkley was just ravenous with disgust and demanded an immediate rematch which of course Benn never gave him. This fight really gets to me.
        Last edited by BennyST; 04-10-2009, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

It also contained some of the worst fouling I've seen recently in a title fight in which nothing happened against Benn. You have to see this fight to believe it. Benn hits Barkley in the back of the head when he is down twice, he rabbit punches blatantly throughout the entire fight, really badly. I actually don't know how he didn't, either get a few points taken off, or just straight up disqualified. It was incredible. Find this fight and check it out. This is the one reason I have always really disliked Benn as a fighter. This fight is a disgrace, Benn is a disgrace.
          I tend to agree with what you said although I wouldn't call Benn a disgrace. He was just a very aggressive fighter that some referees couldn't keep under control.

The refereeing in Barkley-Benn and McClellan-Benn was terrible.

Barkley vs Benn would've been a great war if not for the 3 knockdown rule.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
            I tend to agree with what you said although I wouldn't call Benn a disgrace. He was just a very aggressive fighter that some referees couldn't keep under control.

The refereeing in Barkley-Benn and McClellan-Benn was terrible.

Barkley vs Benn would've been a great war if not for the 3 knockdown rule.
            One thing I just remembered was the weird part about this fight. You know though, I kind of agree with you on Benn being a highly aggressive fighter but this is still a sport with certain rules to keep fighters safe etc etc. There are many fighters who get DQ'd but have never been big on fouls. Case in point Jones vs Griffin 1. That was not nearly as bad as this fight. Or you have another guy Norris who got DQ'd multiple times because he was overly aggressive against the rules of boxing, which Benn also was. He broke DQ rules and should have been severely penalised.

Anyway, enough of my rant. The one problem in the fight is the first supposed KD. The ref doesn't actually call it. So how then does the second official KD count as the third? I really dislike this fight.

I think it's gets me a little because of what Barkley had been through just prior to it. A long layoff in which he then had to scrape off nearly fifty pounds to get in shape and his father dies just weeks before the fight. Then he gets screwed over in the fight as well.

He might never have won. The only problem is he never got a chance to show that he couldn't. I personally believe that he would have lasted until Benn was shot and then beat him down. Benn lost his power rather quickly when he came out this aggressive. By the third or fourth he was exhausted. Barkley kept his power through most of a fight.

On the aggression of fighters though quickly. It's all good to be aggressive. Few fighters have ever had the insane aggression of Duran yet if ever an opponent had his back turned or fell down in front of him, he would always stop and give them time to get back in place or wait until they had stood back up etc. Guys like Benn, Norris etc should be DQ'd for that type of stuff. Just because they are more angry doesn't mean they should get away with more because of it. Well, Norris never really did get away with that much. He got away with a lot sometimes, but whenever he did it that blatantly, he was DQ'd.
            Last edited by BennyST; 04-11-2009, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              On the aggression of fighters though quickly. It's all good to be aggressive. Few fighters have ever had the insane aggression of Duran yet if ever an opponent had his back turned or fell down in front of him, he would always stop and give them time to get back in place or wait until they had stood back up etc. Guys like Benn, Norris etc should be DQ'd for that type of stuff. Just because they are more angry doesn't mean they should get away with more because of it. Well, Norris never really did get away with that much. He got away with a lot sometimes, but whenever he did it that blatantly, he was DQ'd.
              How about the uppercut to Ken Buchanan's niagaras which ended their fight? I think Duran would have beaten him regardless, but it was still no way for a fine fighter like Buchanan to lose his title. Ken never got a rematch either. Jack Sharkey was DQ'd for an alleged low blow on Max Schmeling, yet Marciano repeatedly fouled Don Cockell in their fight and never got so much as a warning. Riddick Bowe committed a similar foul on Buster Mathis to the one which got Jones DQ'd versus Griffin, but Bowe's fight was ruled a no contest. These things have always been dealt with unevenly in boxing, it all depends on the referee, the location, etc. Not really fair, it's just the way it goes.

Comment

Both were under-rated. Great post.

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Gans-Biogr...9462188&sr=1-1

Comment

I also tend to agree thats it shound't of been a 3 knockdown rule. And i also wound't of been surprised if that rule wound't of been instated, Barkely may have come back and got the victory.

Comment

Working...
                  X