No announcement yet.

Did Pavlik ruin Jermain Taylor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP View Post
    This. Like with many fighters their flaws eventually catch up with them and get exploited over and over again.
    Pretty much. Taylor did well for himself considering he never made any adjustments to speak of style-wise, and was never great at anything in the ring. After watching him look terrible vs Ouma and Spinks, Pavlik by KO seemed like easy money.

Comment

Sure did.

Comment

Froch KO ruined him.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          This. Like with many fighters their flaws eventually catch up with them and get exploited over and over again.
          After beating Hopkins he looked worse with every proceeding fight. It was bound to happen eventually.

Comment

I don't think it ruined him but definitely took some self belief out of him like anyone when they experience their first loss after a lot of success. I never thought he was that good, he had a style and athletiscm that will give some elite fighters problems, he had good speed, power, and a good jab and that will get you pretty far. But I agree with the guys who say he had major flaws and those did get exposed the longer he was around at world level.

I think for me it was the Spinks fight where he got out boxed for long periods that I realised that the Hopkins results flattered him and he would not make it as far as people thought at the time.

Comment

That KO by Abraham was brutal.

Comment

Yes. How many times have we ever seen the same fighter after getting KO'd, or even dropped? From that point on they're almost never the same, they're prone to KD or getting KO'd, you can almost see them thinking about it in the back of their minds. More mental than anything.

JT did it to himself though, he was about to finish Pavlik but punched himself out, from that point Pavlik took over, JT was no longer a world class fighter afterwards.

Comment

Pavlik didn't ruin Taylor, he exposed him. He's a sucker for the right hand, and can't take a good one. Instead of adjusting and learning to defend against the right, he continued to rely on his offense as his defense. THAT'S what ruined him.

Comment

No. Hopkins did.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      No. Hopkins did.
                      How did Hopkins ruin him?

Comment

Working...
                      X