No announcement yet.

Are there too many weight divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Rizo View Post
    Former extra junior straw weight, former regular junior straw weight, former "just" regular straw weight, former super straw weight, former super duper straw weight, former ultimate straw weight, former extra junior flyweight, former regular junior flyweight, former "just" regular flyweigh, former super flyweight, former super duper flyweight championnnnnnnnn of the worlddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!

(i would've kept on but it would've taken way too long)
    LMAO!!!!!!! There would be threads made in this very forum titled, "If Sugar Ray Robinson was better then mayweather, how come he didn't have belts in 35 divisions?!?!?!?"

Comment

i wish they would eliminate all supers and juniors and kill two sanctioning bodies (at least).

the fact that the ibo is close to obtaining the status of a wbo or wba is quite frightening to me!

Comment

ya even a 10 pound gap inbetween weight classes would even narrow it down a fair bit.

But I think what we have too many of is titles. If you ask me there should only be 1 main world title belt per weight division. I know there is only 4 that are truly respected. But In my opinion there should be just 1 World Champion per division, And only 1 ranking system aswell. Would Keep it a lot more organized, and just overall better. 1 true champ.

ok Im way off topic haha, I guess I'll make a thread about this.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
          Naw son. Would it be fair for guys like Malignaggi to fight guys like Paul Williams?
          Mali fights below 147lbs for starters. He wouldn't qualify for this tournament. I'm happy you brought Wills name up though. He is a freak of nature. He can make 147 and because he can, deserves to fight there, reguardless of height. Why he's winning at that weight is because he's better, not because he is bigger. He would make it far in that tournament by the way..

Comment

Originally posted by DonFlamenco View Post
            ya even a 10 pound gap inbetween weight classes would even narrow it down a fair bit.

But I think what we have too many of is titles. If you ask me there should only be 1 main world title belt per weight division. I know there is only 4 that are truly respected. But In my opinion there should be just 1 World Champion per division, And only 1 ranking system aswell. Would Keep it a lot more organized, and just overall better. 1 true champ.

I agree but more titles means more revenue....Being that this is a business, don't expect it to change.

Comment

Originally posted by alexdcolon View Post
              I agree but more titles means more revenue....Being that this is a business, don't expect it to change.
              true. Not to mention. having a title on the line is what makes it a 12 Round fight correct?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Yeah, but what are you more interested in, sorting out the best of the best, or having more belts. Titles are more meaningful and create tougher competition when there are less of them.
                I like that...I second that.

Comment

Originally posted by DonFlamenco View Post

Right now there are 68 titles from four major organizations with 17 weight classes each. Add the IBO, IBA and whoever else and that is over 100 world championship oppurtunities in 17 weight divisions. ome of these so called world champions flat out suck compared to the contemporaries from another organization. I know it next to impossible, but condense the divisions down to 9 and the organizations to 1 and boxing would be much better off.

Comment

Originally posted by alexdcolon View Post
                    Who is the best welterweight? Who is best at 154lbs? How about middleweight? I can go on and on...I think there is too many weight divisions. They need to take everybody from the 147lbs. weight class, throw them in with the 154lbs weight class and have "true welterweight" elimination tournament to decide who truly is the best "welterweight" out there. They should do that with all the other divisions also. Thats how you find out who the best fighters overall are. Weight is being used too much as an excuse of why fighters loose. I'm tired of people saying Pavlik lost because he was too small! He's 6'-1" just like b-hop. B-hop is just a better fighter period.
                    Sheeet yes there's too many belts...there needs to be one belt per div and that's it....I hate all this WBC IBF WBA....phuckm' all come up with one belt per div and call it a day....

Comment

I like all the divisions except for the strawweights. If you want to get rid of divisions, don't complain about less fights on TV. Networks will generally only pay for title fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X