Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO only offering $1 Million for Walters-Lomanchenko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not good if true. I would think as boxing fans we would want all networks to be successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingTito View Post
      Not good if true. I would think as boxing fans we would want all networks to be successful.
      If Networks are going to continue to sign fighters to exclusive contracts then I'm not sure it's a good thing they all stay in the business. We want boxing to be popular. But we don't want it to be the horrible fragmented mess it has been for the past few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        If Networks are going to continue to sign fighters to exclusive contracts then I'm not sure it's a good thing they all stay in the business. We want boxing to be popular. But we don't want it to be the horrible fragmented mess it has been for the past few years.
        That's a good point for sure. I can't disagree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          Exactly. It's bad enough that promoters don't want to work with each other, having the networks with exclusive contracts for fighters only makes a complicated situation even worse.

Boxing is a scattered ****storm right now. Too many people have too much power.

Comment

• Originally posted by bopbopbbe View Post
            Lol @ HBO being broke. HBO is the number 1 premium network by a large margin.

They arent going broke they're just cutting the expenses on a division that isnt producing ROI. I'm not gonna say it's ENTIRELY al hymies fault, but the days where guys like berto were making 1mil+ for themselves while fighting complete bums is over.

Hymie milked the cash cow for the last time. It's clear he's trying the same ****ty business strategy with PBC which is failing miserably.
            Boxing has never provided ROI. It's not like a series that can generate revenues in reruns. Boxing has always been a one-time event that doesn't generate incremental revenues, so ROI is not even in the equation.

Comment

• Chickens are just coming home to roost.

Of course these current breed of fighters would reject anything less than $1 million if they see Santa Cruz making $750K fighting sparring partners, Garcia making $700K for fighting Salka, Thurman making $1 million or more for fighting semi-retired guys like Collazo, 40 yr old Bundu, Karass, etc; Lara making $2 mil for fighting Rodriguez and blown up welter Zaveck, and so on.

I like what the other fellow said in another thread. Boxing in general has to hit rock bottom before fans would see changes and meaningful fights.

Comment

• Winner gets all. You're welcome HBO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
                  Yea, it's funny that now people are complaining about purses. HBO's schedule has been complete **** for a while now. They've been paying their favored fighters pretty high purses for exhibitions. But that seems to be their model now. Focus on 5 or 6 big names and bargain bin hunt until you get the occasional big fight. That's gonna lead to a lot of crappie boxing. And it's not entirely the fighter's faults.
                  No that has always been their model. How many civil servants did Roy Jones fight? BAD staged real fights on the cheap and if a fighter got on a hot streak from those fights he would graduate to regular HBO.

These days HBO has just cut back on the salaries/purses but the model is the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingTito View Post
                    Not good if true. I would think as boxing fans we would want all networks to be successful.
                    Here are reasons why a fan wouldn't prefer that all networks be successful:

Two premium networks featuring top fighters means two monthly subscription fees instead of just one.

Two premium networks featuring top fighters means many of the top fighters will never fight each other.

Aren't those reasonable reasons for a fan to prefer that most of the top fighters end up under the same umbrella?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mojita View Post
                      Maybe this was said before but maybe HBO is taking a page from UFC. Put good fights on, pay low salaries to fighters and profit more cause of that. It's working for UFC isn't it?
                      #1, you're saying UFC only puts on good fights? LOL

#2, HBO doesn't pay fighters. HBO pays promoters, and then the promoters use that money plus other money to cover fighter purses and expenses.

#3, any profit is made by the PROMOTER, not the network. HBO does not make any profit from its fights, other than PPV distribution - but that has no relation to how much a fighter's purse is.

Comment

Working...
                      X