• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im no interested in seeing these guys in headgear

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
      im no interested in seeing these guys in headgear
      You serious? The headgear is no longer being used Mak, get with the program!

They revamped the entire amateur program. No more headgear, pro-style scoring (not that stupid try to count how many punches landed system). It's essentially pro boxing now (except much less rounds of course).

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
        You serious? The headgear is no longer being used Mak, get with the program!

They revamped the entire amateur program. No more headgear, pro-style scoring (not that stupid try to count how many punches landed system). It's essentially pro boxing now (except much less rounds of course).

since when? last olympics, i thought i saw it..haven't been keeping up

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
          since when? last olympics, i thought i saw it..haven't been keeping up
          After the last Olympics they decided to change it. They made it official in 2013:
          Olympic boxing drops head guards
          Mar 23, 2013
          Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Olympic boxers will fight without head guards in a pro-style scoring system starting this year after several significant rule changes by the sport's international governing body.

The International Boxing Association (AIBA) unveiled several rule amendments this week, but the two biggest changes will move the Olympic sport much closer to the professional version.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/...scoring-system

Comment

After the last Olympics they decided to change it. They made it official in 2013:
            Olympic boxing drops head guards
            Mar 23, 2013
            Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Olympic boxers will fight without head guards in a pro-style scoring system starting this year after several significant rule changes by the sport's international governing body.

The International Boxing Association (AIBA) unveiled several rule amendments this week, but the two biggest changes will move the Olympic sport much closer to the professional version.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/...scoring-system

ok...now im interested

Comment

Its just bringing olympic boxing in line with almost every other olympic sport. I hope eventually most pro's will go to the olympics every 4 years - allowing for fighters like Rigo to have some momentum behind them if he were to win again.

Theres no promoter/network rubbish in the olympics either. However, I do wish for there to be some difference between olympic and pro boxing. The scoring system should remain with some adjustments to make it far less corrupt

As far as tarnishing the amateur boxers, not really. It just means the amateur world championships are going to become the main prestigious amateur tournament, which is fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                Its just bringing olympic boxing in line with almost every other olympic sport. I hope eventually most pro's will go to the olympics every 4 years - allowing for fighters like Rigo to have some momentum behind them if he were to win again.

Theres no promoter/network rubbish in the olympics either. However, I do wish for there to be some difference between olympic and pro boxing. The scoring system should remain with some adjustments to make it far less corrupt

As far as tarnishing the amateur boxers, not really. It just means the amateur world championships are going to become the main prestigious amateur tournament, which is fine with me.
                Good points, I agree. But in regards to keeping the scoring the same, you mean the silly previous system of counting landed punches? That was terrible, I'm so glad that's gone. What I would want is 9 or 11 judges like in figure skating, which would mostly override a few ******s. Not perfect but better. Corruption will probably always be apart of the sport so not sure if there is anyway to rid it completely, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                  to be honest, it would be a risk for pro boxers with high profiles to fight in the olympics. there would probably be a few instances of celebrity pros being hustled out of decisions by random kids from uzbekistan and what have you. three rounds isn't a lot of time to stamp your authority on a fight. there's a lot of potential for embarrassment
                  That was sort of my argument to someone who said it would be easy work for pros because they train for 12 rounds therefore 3 rounds would be nothing to them. my opinion is the amateurs and pros are a completely different ball game. amateurs fight at a much higher work-rate and pros normally fight at a slower and more controlled work-rate. so in 3 rounds a pro might not necessarily do enough to win.

Comment

Getting more people interested in Olympic boxing? I think the past few Olympics, boxing has been pretty bad as far as coverage goes. These new rules (no more headgear, pro-style judging/pro-style fighting) is an attempt to get people more interested in Olympic boxing, which long-term helps the sport (popularity obviously, additionally it helps the fighters be more "pro ready"), in addition potentially having big names participate. In theory, that makes total sense. Imagine, for example, Mayweather vs the world, or Pacquiao, etc. It would be a massive deal. Of course that's just in theory, as I already mentioned its highly unlikely we'll see any truly high profile fighters participate (at least for this upcoming Olympics).
                    im all for it and i agree with that. ultimately money and greed is the motive. but besides those points u stated, what are your views on the risks? There wouldn't be different level of experience categories like there are in the amateurs. i.e. novice, intermediate, open elite. This means there will be mismatches and slim chances for solid amateurs. to put this into perspective (on a smaller scale), a 0-10 bouter wouldn't get matched up against someone who has had 25-30 bouts because: 1) there would be a slim chance of winning and 2) there's a high chance of getting seriously hurt. So in the olympics, a solid amateur could be matched up with a world champ who could seriously hurt him and ruin his boxing career. Even when amateurs turn pro, they don't face that level of competition until they've had about 15+ fights or so. Before that, they are fighting journey men trying to build a name for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by mark1993 View Post
                      and what if an amateur caused an upset and beat a pro?
                      And what if the pro boxer beats the piss out of the amateur?

Comment

Working...
                      X