Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waddell+Reed's PBC investment has lost 59% of it's value.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
    I hear yea on the part we get to watch more boxing now. But you have to realize if this fails there is absolutely no way boxing will be put on free tv again.

I'd rather have a thing that last and grows than to have some fly by night series.
    Possible. But nothing from their latest earnings release suggests that.

OP could have simplified the thread by saying this:

W&R released their quarterly results. Based on the numbers, they keep giving PBC more money.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
      Imagine being an investor and seeing Quillin/Jacobs on Showtime....

Thanks Al...
      You got Lara/Zaveck for about the same purse so it's all good.

Comment

Comment

So you saying they age not worried about losing 3million? Regardless they are not going to put more money into it if continues to lose.

Bottom line is if this fail then free boxing on network tv will never happen again. And that's not good.
          No. That's how you structure your portfolio. You diversify with risky investments and safe investments. You hope that one of your risky ventures hits a home run but you already anticipate that some will fail. If PBC (Media Group Holdings) fails they hope to make it up with a gain elsewhere.

Comment

Imagine being an investor and seeing Quillin/Jacobs on Showtime....

Thanks Al...
            They would likely be happy because Showtime is putting money into the pot?

Showtime is a PBC ally so I fail to see why they would find that some huge issue.

Comment

I hear yea on the part we get to watch more boxing now. But you have to realize if this fails there is absolutely no way boxing will be put on free tv again.

I'd rather have a thing that last and grows than to have some fly by night series.
              I'm with you on that but let's be realistic. What actual shot did this have at becoming a success? Not many people follow the sport as they used to, I mean even if they were putting on good matchups on paper it doesn't mean it would translate to good fights in the ring. Also they are putting cards on channels that nobody knows(or at least I've never heard of before), I mean "Bounce", what the heck is that!? Now when they have fights on NBC and channels like it's a good thing. The scheduling of a lot of these fights is weird too, cause they go up against a lot of competition like the World Series and others. It's kinda sad but I honestly didn't see this doing real well before it began.

Comment

Its not losing if your building something up for the future...

But here's the thing, there not building anything. No one gives a crap about PBC, ratings are plummeting, there not getting sponsors, they basically hand boxes of tickets away.

It was a terrible idea and business plan from the beginning, Haymon pulled a fast one on these investors.

You know damn well he has no plans of seeing this plan succeed, for fck sakes he's spending millions to televise a Elislandry Lara fight on ESPN. Just throwng the $ away.
                Like I said in my other threads if this fails completely then boxing on free network tv will never ever happen again.

If thru had a multi billion dollar budget then maybe losing 300 million in the first year wouldn't matter so much. But the total investment was something over 500 million and they lost over half of that in less than one year. And that thing is sponsorship has yet to jump on board. If this cycle continue in less this a year from today the value of this investment will be in the negative.

Comment

People care more about hating Haymon than they do about boxing or being right.

A drop in value, after the first year, is not out of the ordinary. That's what happens when you use money to acquire what is necessary for the operation of your business. What matters is whether or not the business is capable of turning a consistent profit.

Comment

FOX pays UFC 100mi a year. How in hell PBC wasted 300mi on 6mo?

Comment

It is really nothing though because they are not even in the medium term yet, they are still at the beginning of what is a long term play. Get back at me in a couple years looking at what TV deals they have then, then I can say if their play was worth it or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X