No announcement yet.

Comeback George Foreman vs. Current Vitali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comeback George Foreman vs. Current Vitali

Who wins this battle of past-prime big men? I think we'd be in for a war. Vitali has some SERIOUS iron in his chin and George would be fairly reluctant to let his hands go. I think it'd be a close fight with some great moments but would be mostly pretty slow paced. Really not sure at all who would win, though. I think I'd slightly favor Vitali because of his workrate.

LOL come on comeback George was an B minus level fighter who was getting gift decisions against Axel Schulz

Comment

Which is why I'm not matching him up with prime Vitali. There's no doubt that this is a faded version of the big fella.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        Which is why I'm not matching him up with prime Vitali. There's no doubt that this is a faded version of the big fella.
        An older Vitali is still more than good enough to dominate the calibur of guys Foreman was getting gift decisions against

Comment

You can never count out the chance of old Foreman exploding Vitali's chin, as unlikely as that would be, but Vitali almost certainly punishes the old man.

Comment

In the Haye Klitschko fight Foreman stood next to Lennox in the ring before the announcement and I was amazed at how small he looked. Vitali is a bigger man than Lennox; he would tower over Foreman. Not that I'm saying he wins because of this, but there's no doubt that it would pose George some problems, who was used to being the bully in the ring. His arms out defensive style wouldn't work anywhere near as well for starters, as Vitali would be punching down on him, not up. He would also find himself having to get on the inside of Vitali in order to unload, and Vitali has developed a pretty keen instinct for knowing when to maintain distance and when to engage. I think he'll fight this fight much like the Arreola contest, keeping on the outside but constantly throwing and landing a high number of punches on the backfoot. Foreman's best chance would be to hope to land a mighty haymaker and stun Vitali, but he was so slow that I really can't see this being likely unless Vitali is totally sleeping. I'd favour Vitali on points, since comeback Foreman had an excellent chin and Vitali's lost quite a bit of power in recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
              He would also find himself having to get on the inside of Vitali in order to unload
              Huh? Foreman has a 2 inch reach advantage over Vitali. If anything it's VITALI who would have to "get inside".

Poet

Comment

Vitali is deceptively awkward and hard to hit cleanly. Foreman would have a hard time getting comfortable against him. I'd give old George a better chance against Wladimir.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Huh? Foreman has a 2 inch reach advantage over Vitali. If anything it's VITALI who would have to "get inside".

Poet

Oh my god learn the difference between reach and arm length and Vitali is taller which adds even more of a length advantage

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                    Oh my god learn the difference between reach and arm length and Vitali is taller which adds even more of a length advantage
                    You could do some learning yourself, like on the distinction between Foreman in 1990-91 and Foreman in 96-97.

Comment

Working...
                    X