Collapse
No announcement yet.

LANGFORD Vs TUNNEY, HW Contest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Tunney would win a comfortable decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
      I think Tunney would win a comfortable decision.
      I'm with you on that one, Sam was really too small even for light HW.

Comment

Langford proved himself against a much wider array of greats than Tunney, who was quite carefully matched by the standards of his era and faced nothing comparable to a prime Langford. If a faded Dempsey could have Tunney down for 14 seconds I'm pretty sure a prime Langford could too. Tunney could out-box Sam, but I fancy Sam to wear Gene down, taking his legs away with brutal body shots, and then KO'ing him mid-rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
          I'm with you on that one, Sam was really too small even for light HW.
          Fact is Sam beat Jeanette, McVey, Willis all good sized heavies, and in their primes..he beat Smith , Lang and a host of other contenders..

You favour Tunney because he beat a past prime Dempsey? How does his heavyweight resume stack up to Sam? Besides I have seen Jeanette film , and he does look to be a mobile boxer.Sam did beat him.

I am sorry, but Sam had a much better resume...In a 10 rounder Tunney might stay away but in a 15 or 20 rounder Sam catches up

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
            Fact is Sam beat Jeanette, McVey, Willis all good sized heavies, and in their primes..he beat Smith , Lang and a host of other contenders..

You favour Tunney because he beat a past prime Dempsey? How does his heavyweight resume stack up to Sam? Besides I have seen Jeanette film , and he does look to be a mobile boxer.Sam did beat him.

I am sorry, but Sam had a much better resume...In a 10 rounder Tunney might stay away but in a 15 or 20 rounder Sam catches up
            Of course Langford has a better resume,.... but Tunney was bigger and I am very impressed by other film of Tunney and he is a sort of bigger Mike Gibbons (or you said something like that......... You may not have come across posts where I said that a prime Dempsey knocks out a prime Tunney......... but Dempsey was still dangerous when he fought Tunney, just no longer great. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have seen Langford V Jeanette X and yes, Joe was mobile, in fact I see many similarities with Ali in him,.... likes the outside, hands very low......... My statement about Langford was HW division in general... all of them... Liston, Klitchko... etc. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- One Tunney fight that really impressed me was the Carpentier fight........ the Tunney I see there was awesome, man was he good, I can see it with my own eyes. Everything Gene does in that fight is pure economy, and where I think Gene can beat Sam is that never ending accuracy. What you say you see in Mike Gibbons I saw in Tunney. In terms of resume Tunney had too few fights at HW, but any fighter willing to fight Harry Greb 5 times does not sound like a ducker.

Comment

Sam Langford was big enough for Light Heavyweight and proved it by winning a slew of fights between the 160s and 180s in his career. Hunch here is he knocks the beejesus out of Tunney at some point if he goes full bore.

Comment

Working...
              X