No announcement yet.

Battle of Zawiya is raging

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Zawiya is raging

At the moment, heavy fighting is going on in the Libyan city of Zawiya.

This city of 300,000 is important to Gaddafi because it has one of Libya's three largest oil refineries.

Live updates can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

from CBC:

Forces loyal to Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi reportedly broke through rebel lines at an opposition-held city in fighting early Saturday that killed at least 30 people, witnesses said.

A doctor in the city told Reuters that mostly civilians were killed during the latest round of fighting for control of Zawiya, 50 kilometres west of the capital Tripoli.

The BBC reported that rebel fighters pushed government forces out of the city centre, before the army launched a second attack, using tanks to shell Zawiya's central square.

The battle for Zawiya could prove crucial to the regime's defence of the Libyan capital and for control of the nearby Tunisian border.

Residents said snipers are shooting at anyone on the streets and several fires are raging across the city.

"Please let the world know that we need some help. They have surrounded the city," a man who lives in Zawiya said. "Right now we hear a lot of heavy fighting. It's non-stop."

The rebels' setback in the battle for the city was the second in as many days.

A large arms and ammunition depot outside the city of Benghazi, the largest city in the rebel-held east of the country, blew up Friday in a massive explosion that completely destroyed an area three times the size of a soccer field.

Ambulance drivers who rushed to the site reported that at least 26 people were killed in the blast, which levelled several buildings, cars and trees.

It was not immediately clear how the depot blew up, but suspicion immediately fell on Gadhafi agents seeking to deny the rebels the arms and ammunition they need to fight their way westward toward the Gadhafi-held city of Sirte on the Mediterranean coast.

Residents join fight in port city

The rebels, however, fared better elsewhere, capturing the key oil port of Ras Lanouf from pro-Gadhafi forces in their first military victory in a potentially long, westward march from the east of the country to the capital Tripoli hundreds of kilometres to the west.

One of the rebels, Ahmed al-Zawi, said the battle was won after Ras Lanouf residents joined the rebels, who were armed with anti-aircraft guns and rocket-propelled grenades.
    Last edited by The Hammer; 03-05-2011, 12:11 PM.

from BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12654670

The BBC's Wyre Davies says Zawiya has been under attack from pro-Gaddafi forces for the past two days

Fresh fighting is under way in Zawiya, 50km (30 miles) west of Tripoli, after rebels repelled an effort by government forces to retake the key Libyan city.

Government forces were pushed out of the city centre in heavy fighting on Saturday morning, but regrouped for a fresh assault later in the day.

Casualty figures were unclear, but heavy gunfire could be heard.

Meanwhile, rebels fighting Col Muammar Gaddafi have taken control of the port of Ras Lanuf to the east of Tripoli.

Observers say the overall balance of power is difficult to assess as the struggle for control over Libya continues.

Comment

Gard darnit!!! They got through Benghazi?. Casualties are rising.We need to get there quick!.
      Charlottetown will not get there till next month.....

Comment

Gaddafi has hired mercenaries from neighbouring African countries who are tearing through towns as we speak.

One man had both his legs cut off for being out after a certain time.

The quicker Gaddafi and his cronies are gone, the better.

I find it funny how all those singers who took Gaddafis money are suddenly returning it, I doubt they would've done so if he wasn't in the news so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Samir Nasri View Post
          Gaddafi has hired mercenaries from neighbouring African countries who are tearing through towns as we speak.

One man had both his legs cut off for being out after a certain time.

The quicker Gaddafi and his cronies are gone, the better.

I find it funny how all those singers who took Gaddafis money are suddenly returning it, I doubt they would've done so if he wasn't in the news so much.
          Yes, Gaddafi has brought in thousands more mercenaries during the past week or so from sub-Saharan African countries like Mali, Chad, Zimbabwe etc.

He's using them to kill his own people.

This man is truly evil.

Comment

battle my ass.

most of those civilians are not armed.

this is why the libyans should have had their own NRA.

even hunting rifles and shotguns would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
              battle my ass.

Exactly. Its funny to me that people think Gadhafi can't take the cities he wants when he wants. Since its a fact that a majority of the rebels aren't armed, what are they supposed to do when mercenaries approach in a staggered formation armed with assault rifles and what not? They can't do ****, man you got to feel their pain though. Even with thousands dead, the rebels are brave enough to remain in the streets

Comment

Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
                Exactly. Its funny to me that people think Gadhafi can't take the cities he wants when he wants. Since its a fact that a majority of the rebels aren't armed, what are they supposed to do when mercenaries approach in a staggered formation armed with assault rifles and what not? They can't do ****, man you got to feel their pain though. Even with thousands dead, the rebels are brave enough to remain in the streets
                he has to walk a fine line.

he's trying to be strong enough to stay in power but not so brutal there's no turning back.

he doesn't want to go back to being the pariah from the 80's.

and this time he doesn't have the soviet union and a few arab/african countries on his side.

Comment

By now there has to be over 3000 people dead and who knows how many injured. Some news articles estimate as much as 6000, so at what point will something be done? 10,000 and up?

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                    battle my ass.

The rebels are armed when some of Qadhaffis soldiers sided with the rebels and some abandoned their barracks.

Comment

Working...
                    X