Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Hatton's Natural Talent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At his best, Ricky was one of the finest body punchers I've seen. Which is why I was so puzzled he chose to change his style to a brawling, wrestling slugger. It reduced his attacking threat considerably and turned him into a far less entertaining fighter.

Comment

Do you really think he had that much untapped talent? I thought he was a fairly hard working boxer Emanual Stewert said he did some freakish things in training. I guess he blew up in weight between fights though.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
        Do you really think he had that much untapped talent? I thought he was a fairly hard working boxer Emanual Stewert said he did some freakish things in training. I guess he blew up in weight between fights though.
        He was definitely a hard worker, it was just him going up and down in weight so much that it took its toll. Combine that with a shaky base by having a trainer who was good motivationally but not so much tactically and he definitely didn't reach his full potential. I'm not saying he was Golota or anything, just that he had more than he showed in his two real step-up fights.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
          He was definitely a hard worker, it was just him going up and down in weight so much that it took its toll. Combine that with a shaky base by having a trainer who was good motivationally but not so much tactically and he definitely didn't reach his full potential. I'm not saying he was Golota or anything, just that he had more than he showed in his two real step-up fights.
          I don't know much about his trainer, but I think your right a boxer can have loads of talent but with a bad trainer they won't be near as good as they could have been.

Comment

He's footwork was nearly P4P best in his prime...head movement was good...if he got you against the ropes ...you were in trouble.. I still to this day believe the Mayweather would have been completly different if it wasnt for Joe Cortez...that point deduction fired Hatton up and he lost control of the fight...best decision...after Mayweather he was done...he showed glimpses of his oldself vs Malignaggi...but still was know where near pre Mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
              I don't know much about his trainer, but I think your right a boxer can have loads of talent but with a bad trainer they won't be near as good as they could have been.
              Definitely wouldn't say that Billy Graham is bad, just limited. Hatton learned a lot from him, but I think he had more talent than Billy knew what to do with. He ended up inspiring a whole lot of aggression (I think, so, anyway, maybe Hatton's just that kind of guy) and just figured that Ricky's athleticism would mean that defense took care of itself. You can see that philosophy in the fights. Hatton rarely tries to slip punches - he pulls back from them and does so with a bit of success. It's why he lost so bad to Mayweather. That works when you're fighting Ben Tackie and even Juan Urango, but Floyd Mayweather's not going to be fooled. Hatton had no idea how to deal with a serious jab, or really what to do when he was outmuscled. That says to me that he leaned on his natural gifts - a lot. And that he was able to win a couple of rounds against Mayweather on pure talent also says a lot.

Comment

I never thought of it that way, but a winning a couple rounds against Mayweather with an average trainer does suggest quite a bit of talent.

Comment

Definitely wouldn't say that Billy Graham is bad, just limited. Hatton learned a lot from him, but I think he had more talent than Billy knew what to do with. He ended up inspiring a whole lot of aggression (I think, so, anyway, maybe Hatton's just that kind of guy) and just figured that Ricky's athleticism would mean that defense took care of itself. You can see that philosophy in the fights. Hatton rarely tries to slip punches - he pulls back from them and does so with a bit of success. It's why he lost so bad to Mayweather. That works when you're fighting Ben Tackie and even Juan Urango, but Floyd Mayweather's not going to be fooled. Hatton had no idea how to deal with a serious jab, or really what to do when he was outmuscled. That says to me that he leaned on his natural gifts - a lot. And that he was able to win a couple of rounds against Mayweather on pure talent also says a lot.
                  Interesting point about Hatton's natural ability. I liked Hatton, but I saw him as swarmer with limited pop and without the ability to control a fight like Duran or Arguello. "Freakishly strong" to me is one-punch KO power like Marciano.

I think that Hatton would have little to no chance against Duran, Arguello, JCC at LW or SRL, Hearns, Whitaker at WW. I think he is a quality fighter but not someone whose ever going to get into anywhere near any TOP ATG 20lists.

Does this mean he sucks. Hell no. Take a look at other sports, you can have someone make an all-star team for a couple years but never be considered one of the top players in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                    Interesting point about Hatton's natural ability. I liked Hatton, but I saw him as swarmer with limited pop and without the ability to control a fight like Duran or Arguello. "Freakishly strong" to me is one-punch KO power like Marciano.

I think that Hatton would have little to no chance against Duran, Arguello, JCC at LW or SRL, Hearns, Whitaker at WW. I think he is a quality fighter but not someone whose ever going to get into anywhere near any TOP ATG 20lists.

Does this mean he sucks. Hell no. Take a look at other sports, you can have someone make an all-star team for a couple years but never be considered one of the top players in the league.
                    Oh hey now, I didn't mean to sound like I thought Hatton was as talented as Duran or especially Leonard and Whitaker. I just think he's more of a natural athlete than he's usually given credit for. And strength doesn't always equal power. Holyfield was a hell of a lot stronger than Tyson, but there's no question that Tyson hit harder. Same with Margarito and Cotto (strength/power). Ricky Hatton held his own in clinches with Urango and I have no idea how that man fits into a 140 pound frame.

Comment

Oh hey now, I didn't mean to sound like I thought Hatton was as talented as Duran or especially Leonard and Whitaker. I just think he's more of a natural athlete than he's usually given credit for. And strength doesn't always equal power. Holyfield was a hell of a lot stronger than Tyson, but there's no question that Tyson hit harder. Same with Margarito and Cotto (strength/power). Ricky Hatton held his own in clinches with Urango and I have no idea how that man fits into a 140 pound frame.
                      Always puzzled me too,Urango is built like a tank

Comment

Working...
                      X