No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Showtime Shakes Things Up With Mayweather Power Play

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Showtime Shakes Things Up With Mayweather Power Play

By Jake Donovan - You have to give Floyd Mayweather, Jr. credit. Most in the industry predicted that Robert Guerrero would land the May 4 assignment against boxing’s current biggest box office star.

The predictability factor was thrown for a curve with a random tweet from Mayweather Jr. earlier in the month insisting Devon Alexander was in the mix. The announcement of the fight with Guerrero itself finally came on Tuesday – buried deep as a subplot of what instead became boxing’s latest hot topic – a defection to Showtime for his next six fights or 30 months, after having spent his entire career on HBO.

For the second time in the past three calendar years, Showtime managed to steal from HBO the leading box office attraction. The other occasion turned out to be for just one fight - Manny Pacquiao’s ho-hum decision win over Shane Mosley in May 2011. However, it was just enough to change the power structure at HBO, which in effect caused a shakeup at Showtime as well. [Click Here To Read More]

Seven articles about this is more than enough..jeez..lol. I think ya'll could've accomplished the same thing with one nice long one. Kudos to showtime for jacking HBO for their goods, Kudos to GBP i'm sure they got a side deal on this deal too, shoutout to ellerbe he's caking up off making this deal, kudos to Mayweather he just got his retirement fund ensured. Now can we hear from Robert Guerrero? How about Austin Trout since he's going into the biggest fight of his career..hell i'd even take some news on Canelo right now.

Comment

How is Floyd "boxing's biggest star" when Pacquiao outsells him in PPV every year?

Pac also has numerous endorsements and Magazine covers while Floyd only has lottery soda

Comment

wait a minute....showtime got floyd?! when did this happen

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
          How is Floyd "boxing's biggest star" when Pacquiao outsells him in PPV every year?

Pac also has numerous endorsements and Magazine covers while Floyd only has lottery soda
          Then why isnt Pacquiao signing the most lucrative deal in boxing history then?

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
            Seven articles about this is more than enough..jeez..lol. I think ya'll could've accomplished the same thing with one nice long one. Kudos to showtime for jacking HBO for their goods, Kudos to GBP i'm sure they got a side deal on this deal too, shoutout to ellerbe he's caking up off making this deal, kudos to Mayweather he just got his retirement fund ensured. Now can we hear from Robert Guerrero? How about Austin Trout since he's going into the biggest fight of his career..hell i'd even take some news on Canelo right now.
            Eggs take 3 minutes to boil, in a 12 round fight, excluding the minute rest period, you could have 12 boiled eggs on your hands, this of course is if the fight lasted 12 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
              Then why isnt Pacquiao signing the most lucrative deal in boxing history then?
              The deal that no details have been made public because of "confidential reasons?"

It could be the least lucrative deal in boxing history as far as you know

Comment

The deal that no details have been made public because of "confidential reasons?"

It could be the least lucrative deal in boxing history as far as you know
                Lets see Floyds already the highest paid athlete without signing the new deal. Do you really think Floyd would sign with Showtime for less money?

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
                  Lets see Floyds already the highest paid athlete without signing the new deal. Do you really think Floyd would sign with Showtime for less money?
                  After reading the Thomas Hauser article, Yes I do

And Floyd ain't the highest paid if you include how much he spends to promote the fight (10's of millions)

If you factor that than there are alot of athletes that make more than him including Pacquiao

Comment

After reading the Thomas Hauser article, Yes I do
                    You read that hack? Im not surprized at all. Whats he offering up now? More rumors and opinions. Ill take my info from Shafer, Elerbe, and Showtime. You know the people actually involved in the deal. Not some hack writer who dont have **** to do with the deal who obviously has his own agenda.

Comment

Working...
                    X