No announcement yet.

Question about boxing weight classes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about boxing weight classes

How come there's no coverage of any weight class below bantamweight and how come there's hardly any TV coverage or talk about the cruiserweights? Of the 17 weight classes today, only about 12 of them seem to get any regular coverage, while the first 4 and cruiserweights are almost never talked about. And only 5 of those 12 weight classes have lineal or Ring Magazine champions, the only title belts that really count these days, unlike all those other bull**** alphabet title belts, with their corrupt mandatory title fights and sanctioning fees. So why do you think that is?

The lower weights get plenty of coverage in Asia and Cruiserweights get decent coverage in Europe

Comment

Was a time when the cruiserweight title was a stopping off point on the way to heavyweight. But there haven't been many big names at cruiserweight, when there was they moved up to heavyweight anyways.

Comment

The lower weights are mostly covered in Asia.

Comment

So Asia and parts of Europe show them? But why not the U.S.? Is it just the fact that boxing is not as popular as it used to be or has it usually been this way in the past too? I know the heavyweight division usually gets most of the glory and then middleweights and some light and welters, because there's a lot of exciting fighters there. Just wondering.

It's at least good to know if there's, say, a bantamweight or a strawweight guy I want to watch, I might be able to find video footage from overseas or DVD copies from there if I ever wanted to.

Comment

The was a time during the runs of Ricardo Lopez, Michael Carbajal and Humberto Gonzalez were the little men got alot coverage in the U.S.
            We would not only see these champions but alot of other fighters in the lower weights. After that interest fell off. I do however watch alot of the smaller weight classes on the spanish channels like Azteca, Telemundo and Telefutura.
            Last edited by TBear; 03-24-2012, 04:53 AM.

Comment

The original weight classes still dominate coverage (Heavy, Light Heavy, Middle, Welter etc).

Also it takes more than one big star in those more obscure divisions to set it on fire. One star = moving up in weight to a more celebrated division, two or more stars = genuine competition and interest. Unfortunately that's quite rare.

Comment

Working...
              X