No announcement yet.

The Footwork of Napoles and Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    Yeah he was amazing in my opinion too, I don't know where to rate him,,, there are just too many awesome greats in that division, I believe it has the most depth in history than any other division although the Lightweight division is close too. I will venture out and suggest that I think he beats Mayweather 5 times out of six and that Floyd never fought anyone in his life the equal of Napoles.
    His resume is lacking IMO compared to other greats but he has a good resume none the less. No question a top 10 Welterweight.

Him vs Floyd would be a great fight, 135 or 147 I would probably lean on Floyd though.

Comment

Louis is a pretty strange example to use to illustrate great footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        His resume is lacking IMO compared to other greats but he has a good resume none the less. No question a top 10 Welterweight.

Him vs Floyd would be a great fight, 135 or 147 I would probably lean on Floyd though.
        top 10 welterweight ? I presume you mean Napoles at least I hope so... Floyd isn't top 10 material in this division, too many great fighters there who fought a lot at welterweight, we have Armstrong Ray Leonard, Hearns, Robinson, Tommy Ryan, Barney Ross, Jimmy McLarnin, Mike Gibbons, Jack Britton, Ted Kid Lewis, Emile Griffith, Mickey Walker, Kid Gavilan, Fritzie Zivic, Carmen Basilio, Tony DeMarco, Young Corbet III, Joe Walcott, Wilfred Benitez, Jackie Fields and Mysterious Billy Smith and then there are many many other very good fighters like Don Curry and Pernell Whitaker and Lloyd Honeyghan................... oh man, can you believe how much depth this division has had.

Comment

Yeah he was amazing in my opinion too, I don't know where to rate him,,, there are just too many awesome greats in that division, I believe it has the most depth in history than any other division although the Lightweight division is close too. I will venture out and suggest that I think he beats Mayweather 5 times out of six and that Floyd never fought anyone in his life the equal of Napoles.
          your point is perhaps universal. In traditional Thai boxing the real champion is the middle weight. The heavyweight division is not even taken seriously.

Because on average most guys are around that weight, more talented fighters have always existed in the middle range. A larger sample to draw from.

Not to belabor a point I have no problem with a list of the best where we take the ten best fighters in a weight class and include twenty guys....Its not necessarily illogical to conclude that there are more guys than slots that fit the criteria for a "best" list under certain circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcello View Post
            Louis's footwork is always underrated. People look at the Conn fight and think that's it. That was only one night. Plenty of fighters tried that and Louis had no problem catching them and cutting off the ring. He was actually a fleet footed boxer before he realized he could knock everybody out.
            Im glad someone noticed that about Louis because I don't remember where i saw the tapes but it was a young Louis and he was really fleet footed. Also people often mischaracterize the Conn fight. Louis achieved his desired result after all.

Comment

i would think at 135 Floyd wins but at 147 its a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                Well if we are really really precise we could say Louis had incredibly efficient footwork. Not all fighters with exceptional footwork valued efficiency and in fact, not all fighters with efficient footwork had great footwork. Odlanier Solis has really efficient footwork but is a plodder because of his weight.

Conversly not all heavyweights with great footwork were necessarily efficient. Johnson might be a good example of a heavyweight who was willing to work a little bit more in order to set certain traps and have an opportunity to attack which made him, at times, inefficient but very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                  You could watch the video and see why Wyllie thought he was.

Comment

You could watch the video and see why Wyllie thought he was.
                    Sometimes good footwork is confused with good foot speed. Louis was fundamentally excellent.

Comment

Where I live, when you say you are gonna lean on someone it means you are gonny bully them for their wallet and money, so are you gonna lean on Floyd then ????? haha.... lol.. pokes tongue out.

Comment

Working...
                      X