Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verdejo: Needs to Make Adjustments

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I actually saw him fight, I thought the kid was a monster as described by many people. I've seen 3 of his fights now, and while he's not a bad fighter, he has A LOT of work to do. He really hasn't impressed me thus far

Comment

Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
      Personally I don't think that Loma-Verdejo fight was close at all. Verdejo couldn't land, but Verdejo is a good fighter. Loma's experience was just too much for him at the time.
      Verdejo is a good young fighter with a lot to learn, but every fighter has to go through this. People like to over-exaggerate things if a fighter (especially a prospect or contender coming up) doesn't stop their opponent early or look spectacular.
      Every fighter has to go through test like these. Obviously Verdejo has a lot to learn, but these are the type of fights that will help him improve.
      People forget that Mayweather had tough fights or fights where he didn't look amazing.

Regarding over-exaggeration Loma went through this. Lomachenko lost a close decision to Salido, but people like to say he got beat-up since like I said they like to over-exaggerate situations. The truth is that the fight was close and Lomachenko outlanded Salido. People are so sure that Salido won since he threw more punches, but if just throwing punches wins you the fight then other fighters would have several defeats since according to these people outworking an opponent wins you the fight. There are fighters that get outworked all of the time.

There is another Lightweight prospect/contender, Luke Campbell, that got upsetted last year. I'm in the minority but I thought he won. I thought he swept the first four rounds, it wasn't pretty, but he was the one landing. And it's not like he lost ALL of the last eight rounds of the fight. People are so sure that he lost, because his opponent was the one coming forward and it was the first fight in which Campbell didn't dominate. Campbell was landing more shots throughout the fight and Mendy was missing more than people think. I could only give Mendy so much credit for just simply coming forward, it wasn't like he was taking Campbell to the ropes and beating on him. Again people like to over-exaggerate situations. But hey that fight was probably a great learning experience for Campbell. Just like this Silva fight is a good learning experience for Verdejo.
      Any fighter with even a little hype will be a target.
      Verdejo just has to keep moving forward and learn from this. I think he has a good future. I think they should take their time with Verdejo don't rush him into a title shot, but they should step up the competition. There is only so much he could learn from fighting guys he'll take out in a few rounds.
      Great post! Greened!

Comment

As much as I don't like the idea of Cotto having to share time with yet another fighter, I agree that Verdejo's career will be saved if he goes with Freddie Roach. If Verdejo doesn't, he's not going to make it past even JuanMa. Too many flaws are present right now. Once he faces his version of a Rafael Marquez, he's done. I mean, sure, they could try to get him titles the easy way, but what's going to happen will happen eventually. His best chance is to learn from Freddie.

Comment

Verdejo needs to face someone like Burns, a solid gatekeeper who will show us what he really has to offer.

Comment

Working...
          X