Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was it that Ray Robinson was the best?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was it that Ray Robinson was the best?

You hear alot of older folk that have watched boxing way back when talk about how Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest. And alot of boxing historians say hes PHP#1 in history. Can someone fill me in on why this is? I mean his record is impressive, but I have no clue who he fought other then like Rocky Graziano, and Lamotta.

I might also add its kinda hard to dig up stuff on the guy.

Comment

HAHHAHAHHA.....did you just start watching boxing yesterday?.....2 time Welterweight Champ.....5 time Middleweight Champ....at one point in his career he was 128-1.....no man ever beat Robinson twice before he reached the age of 40.....Randy Turpin, Bobo Olson, Gene Fullmer, Carmen Basillio, Jake Lamotta, Graziano, Henry Armstrong, just to name a few.....in 200 fights he was never knocked out....never....he retired on his stool once because of dehydration when he was fighting Maxim at Light Heavyweight......

.He consistently fought bigger men his entire career......when he beat Lamotta for the middleweight title, Lamotta weighed 15 pounds more than him....He was the Complete boxer, knock out power with both hands, he threw 5, 6, 7 left hook combinations in a row, brilliant defence, could dance around your arse or stand toe to toe and trade...
      Last edited by The Stone Roses; 12-21-2009, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Stone Roses View Post
        HAHHAHAHHA.....did you just start watching boxing yesterday?.....2 time Welterweight Champ.....5 time Middleweight Champ....at one point in his career he was 128-1.....no man ever beat Robinson twice before he reached the age of 40.....Randy Turpin, Bobo Olson, Gene Fullmer, Carmen Basillio, Jake Lamotta, Graziano, Henry Armstrong, just to name a few.....in 200 fights he was never knocked out....never....he retired on his stool once because of dehydration when he was fighting Maxim at Light Heavyweight......

.He consistently fought bigger men his entire career......when he beat Lamotta for the middleweight title, Lamotta weighed 15 pounds more than him....He was the Complete boxer, knock out power with both hands, he threw 5, 6, 7 left hook combinations in a row, brilliant defence, could dance around your arse or stand toe to toe and trade...
        Heh, I'v been into it since January(Because of a friend). I saw a Berto fight, and thought this was pretty cool. I was totally sold on boxing however when I watched the Diaz-Marquez fight haha. It only got better though, I mean I'v learned quite a bit about the sport in the past year. And now it's my favorite. I like it more then hockey(I live in canada)! Thanks for the bit of info though. I have a friend who also doesnt really know alot about why sugar ray is one of the best in history.

Comment

not only that he had an amateur record of 85-0. none of the fighters have that king of record even floyd got beaten in the amateurs..

Comment

rite on the money

Comment

bigger my ass, they packed more weight(fat) maybe, but most were shorter

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Ram View Post
                not only that he had an amateur record of 85-0. none of the fighters have that king of record even floyd got beaten in the amateurs..
                what do you mean "even" floyd? you overrate him that much? and most dont have an unbeaten amatuer record because they have upto 100-300 fights

Comment

You know, he asked a legitimate question. At least he's curious enough as someone new to the sport to want to learn about it; as opposed to a lot of NSB morons who don't know **** all. How about trying to enlighten him without being a azzhole?

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
                    You hear alot of older folk that have watched boxing way back when talk about how Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest. And alot of boxing historians say hes PHP#1 in history. Can someone fill me in on why this is? I mean his record is impressive, but I have no clue who he fought other then like Rocky Graziano, and Lamotta.
                    What you really need to do is just watch some of his fights and highlights. That will tell you everything.

Look at my sig.

Comment

Working...
                    X