No announcement yet.

D.C. sniper 10 years later: ‘I was a monster’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.C. sniper 10 years later: ‘I was a monster’

Lee Boyd Malvo, who was convicted along with John Allen Muhammad in the 2002 D.C. sniper shootings that left 10 dead and three wounded, says he remembers the killings vividly but can't explain why he did what he did.

"I was a monster," Malvo told the Washington Post in a recent interview from a Virginia prison where he's serving six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole. "If you look up the definition, that's what a monster is. I was a ghoul. I was a thief. I stole people's lives. I did someone else's bidding just because they said so. There is no rhyme or reason or sense."

Malvo, now 27, was a teenager at the time of the shootings. Muhammad was executed in 2009. The shooting spree lasted three weeks before the pair were arrested at a truck stop in Maryland.

"At that point in time, I had been desensitized," Malvo continued. "In the midst of the task, there is no feeling. It got to a point where I'd get in a zone. There was nothing else but whoever is before me, and anything that comes between me and, as you would say, the target, I'm either going to destroy, or if it's too big, find a way around it. Nothing is going to stop me but death to get that done. ... I was able to tap into a place that if there was a soul there it was behind layers and layers and layers of darkness."

Muhammad, Malvo said, was a father figure to him.

"I trusted him," he said. "I was unable to distinguish between Muhammad the father I had wanted and Muhammad the nervous wreck that was just falling to pieces. He understood exactly how to motivate me by giving approval or denying approval. It's very subtle. It wasn't violent at all. It's like what a pimp does to a woman."

"He picked me because he knew he could mold me," he said. "He knew I could be what he needed me to be. ... He could not have chosen a better child."

After their arrest, Malvo said, he claimed responsibility for the killings in an attempt to save Muhammad from the death penalty.

"I did everything I thought I could do to save his life," Malvo said. "It was just a mixture of half-truths, details that only I or the killer would know, because I was there. What's crazy is this entire process. I'm concerned for him, and he doesn't give a rat's a-- whether I live or die."
    -----
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...192331103.html

My problem is with the past tense, "was a monster"

He's still a monster and should be put down

Comment

he killed people, I don't feel bad for him...

Comment

He is remorseful and paying the price for what he did.

Comment

Originally posted by led* View Post
          As far as i know he has life long housing, with 3 meals a day and free health care for life paid by you and I

So it turns out that we're paying for what he did

Comment

Originally posted by led* View Post
            you think he would be feeling bad if he would of never been caught...

Comment

I remember people were so quick to label the sniper as a racist guy because a black woman got killed. Boy were they surprised when it was not a white guy that did the killings.

I have no sympathy for the guy but I have to admit he lasted a lot longer than I expected before he got caught. Pretty smart sniping from a car like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                I remember people were so quick to label the sniper as a racist guy because a black woman got killed. Boy were they surprised when it was not a white guy that did the killings.

I have no sympathy for the guy but I have to admit he lasted a lot longer than I expected before he got caught. Pretty smart sniping from a car like that.
                Actually it was an ingenuous plan of attack {I would have used a suppressor} for more stealth.

In any case, YES!!! Dudes were down-right evil, evil, evil and deserved death for their cowardly acts.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  As far as i know he has life long housing, with 3 meals a day and free health care for life paid by you and I

So it turns out that we're paying for what he did
                  If life in prison is so good, I wonder why all bums don't just reside there.

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
                  you think he would be feeling bad if he would of never been caught...
                  But he remembers the look in Ted Franklin’s eyes when the pair gunned down his wife Linda outside a Home Depot in Virginia — and said it made him feel like “the worst piece of scum on the planet.”

“It is the worst sort of pain I have ever seen in my life,” Malvo said. “Words do not possess the depth in which to fully convey that emotion and what I felt when I saw it.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz280hdkoWQ
                  Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
                    he killed people, I don't feel bad for him...

I feel bad for him, because imagine the guilt he must be living with. And if he's really not, and just trying to gain empathy, then I still feel bad for him because I can't imagine what it would be like to have no feelings about killing people.

That doesn't mean I don't feel even more empathy for the victims, and their families.

Nor does it mean I think this should somehow effect his punishment - I believe he should absolutely spend the rest of his life in prison, with no chance of parole whatsoever.

Well let's be real: I don't know any of them, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but just speaking from a general perspective.

Comment

Working...
                    X