Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the heavyweight division be split up into more divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see boxing do something like this with the divisions. Imagine how exciting a new 215lb division would be. Heavyweights should also have to make weight like every other weight class. It would be better for boxing in the long run.

107-Flyweight
    114-Bantamweight
    120-Featherweight
    127-Junior Lightweight
    134-Lightweight
    140-Junior Welterweight
    147-Welterweight
    154-Junior Middleweight
    160-Middleweight
    167-Super Middleweight
    175-Light Cruiserweight
    190-Cruiserweight
    215-Light Heavyweight
    260-Heavyweight
    Last edited by shonuff488; 06-10-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Yeah because thats what boxing needs more division and more fake champions..

Comment

hell no a 200lb boxer can generate enough power to knock anyone out. just because your heavier doesn't always mean you have an elephant chin

Comment

I think it would be useless to create a new weight class between cruiserweight and heavyweight. You do not have to weigh 201 to fight a heavyweight. You could weigh 170 and still fight a heavyweight unless the boxing commission did not allow the fight. Just about every cruiser weight champ sooner or later will try to get a fight with the heavyweight champ. Many light heavyweight champs go after the heavyweight champ. If a guy is the champ of this new 220 pound weight class do you think he will be satified with that? You know he will go after the unlimited heavyweight champ. Some of the best heavyweights of the past were not that big at all. Fitzsimmons was the heavyweight champ at 167 pounds. Prime Liston 215. Prime Foreman 218. Prime Frazier 205. Prime Ali 206. Prime Jack Johnson 192. Prime Louis 198. Prime Dempsey 188. Prime Marciano and Charles 184.Those guys often weighed in in street clothes after lunch and were still that light. You do not need to weigh 240 pounds to be the best heavyweight in the world and history proves it. Dempsey weighed 180 pounds when he crushed the 250 pound Jess Willard.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
            Guys want to be heavyweight champs, that's we're the money is and has always Been. I'm sure many HWs can make CW if they wanted
            This, exactly. If something was hypothetically done, I would hope it doesn't create another division.

Comment

I would hate more divisions but if it was up to me I would change all of them

216^ Heavyweight
              215 Cruiser
              194 LightHeavy
              173.5 SuperMiddle
              164 Middle
              156.5 SuperWelter
              148 Welter
              142 SuperLight
              135 Light
              128.5 Feather
              120.5 Bantam
              114.5 Fly
              110 Straw

Comment

Sorry SHonuff You beat me to it I see.

Comment

I'm not sure. Really I think there should be a more wide ranging review of the weight divisions. Otherwise the only option is to add a Super Heavyweight division, which is probably justified but it wouldn't make much sense for the divisions to go 160 - 168 - 175 - 200 - 240 (or whatever).

Comment

Wouldn't be a bad idea. If I could have the divisions my way, I would have this
                    118 Bantamweight
                    122 Super Bantamweight
                    126 Featherweight
                    130 Junior Lightweight
                    135 Lightweight
                    140 Junior Welterweight
                    147 Welterweight
                    154 Junior Middleweight
                    160 Middleweight
                    168 Super Middleweight
                    175 Junior Cruiserweight
                    200 Crusierweight
                    225 Heavyweight
                    260 Super Heavyweight
                    118 minimum and 260 max. With Just 1 Champion per division. At most 2. **exclude the thumbs down sign
                    Last edited by Bigg Rigg; 06-11-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X