Tyson Fury should attend the January 16th paper belt fest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saint laurent
    Eff Pandas -

The belts are the reason Tyson Fury got his shot.

The belts are the reason you considered Wladimir the champion.

The entire sport revolves around the belts.

Some of you are just in denial.
    Speak for yourself on this one. I considered Klitschko THE champion over a period of time where he beat everyone in & around the top of the division. It had lil to do with the belts. If Klitschko had no belt or all of them previous to the Fury fight he was still THE champion & now Fury is regardless of any belt he holds or don't hold.

I can appreciate the idea of tracking the man who beat the man, even after belts have been stripped, if the lineage begins with universal recognition.

But to just arbitrarily decide that Klitschko vs Chagaev is somehow for universal recognition when neither was the best heavyweight in the world at the time is simply hilarious.
    I had a rant about lineal titles being as bs if not more bs than alphabet belts recently so I can't disagree with what you are saying per se. I mean GGG hasn't beaten the top guys at 160, but I've considered him THE champion at the weight since Martinez loss to Cotto. I think this is an entirely new era where the best seldom fight the best like they should & the alphabet groups have lowered the value of being a champion to depths not seen before in boxing. With that being our reality I think you get guys like GGG being THE champion despite not having all the belts or beating "the man who beat the man". Like it or not its just a different era where titles are less meaningful & without dispute are at their all time lowest value. I mean hell ~75% of the title holders hold a paper title.

I agree with you that the belts are ****. Guess what, the entire sport is ****. So every post you make is the equivalent of arguing over dog turds, but that doesn't stop you from posting.
    The entire sport at its core is pure. Its the alphabet groups & powerful promoter era we are in that has f#cked things up for fans & diminished the allure of the sport. I just don't see the point in acting like one of the most effed up aspects of pro boxing today, alphabet groups, should be used as a means to diminish a boxers accomplishments which it seemed like you were doing in a disrespectful manner. F#ck the IBF. F#ck the WBC. F#ck the WBA. And F#ck the WBO. Fury is a baaaaaaaaaaad maaaaaaaaan.

But nobody cares about the belts doe right . . . even though 99% of the decisions made by networks, fighters, promoters, managers, etc revolve around them.
    I think 99% of the decisions in boxing get made over money. Alphabet titles are losing value daily & that trend will continue. It just so happens to be that being able to say "we got a championship fight tonight" tends to equal more money is the thing. So the byproduct of everyone being money oriented is corrupt alphabet titles get more respect than they deserve.

Comment

i see a lot of insults and name calling, but not a single person countered any of my arguments.

the facts remain. fury holds the two least prestigious belts. the two most prestigious belts are being fought for on 1/16.

wladimir never unified the division and never fought the #1 guy in the division.

so everybody is a paper champion right now.
      How about the fact that he won one of the "prestigious" belts? He was contractually obligated to a rematch so had to drop it. So let me get this straight, you consider the guys fighting for his forced vacated belt more legit than the guy who won it from the man who held it for a decade? Ok man, keep shooting up

Also, you can say he never fought his brother, but once his brother retired he fought the number 1 guy in the division in Povetkin.

Comment

i see a lot of insults and name calling, but not a single person countered any of my arguments.

the facts remain. fury holds the two least prestigious belts. the two most prestigious belts are being fought for on 1/16.

wladimir never unified the division and never fought the #1 guy in the division.

so everybody is a paper champion right now.
        No one bothered to counter your arguments because they can see through your pathetic veneer, Mr Facts-Don't-Lie.

You also have a habit of bailing on threads when people start to rip your obvious nonsense apart.

So shove it.

Comment

He's not invited.

The PBC broadcast wouldn't know what to refer to him as.

Comment

Fury has the two least credible belts in boxing and the two most prestigious belts are being fought for on 1/16.

Wladimir never unified the titles and never fought the #1 heavyweight in the world.

So Fury is just as much a paper champion as anyone else.

Lennox Lewis was the last undisputed champion.

no unified titles

Klitschko vs non #1

Klitschko vs non #1

Comment

saint laurent seems a bit autistic. Yes, you can argue about alphabet titles all you want, but it remains that pretty much all neutral boxing observers saw Wladimir Klitschko as the undisputed HW champion, and as Tyson Fury beat "the man" he becomes the new boss.

Comment

Would definitely pique my interest in the HW division again.

Comment

Laced Up -

Thank you for posting a picture that clearly shows that Wladimir never unified the division. Carrying multiple minor titles may trick fans like you, but you can't ignore that he's missing the most prestigious and lucrative title in boxing (the WBC) and that the recognized organizations of the sport were never unanimous in recognizing Klitschko as champion.

As for Klitschko facing Povetkin, TBRB had Povetkin ranked #4 when Klitschko signed to fight him.

You guys are rewriting history by pretending Povetkin was a consensus #1.
                  But that's not what you said though. You said he never unified titles.

Haha, that is absolutely bollocks. Proof?

Ring had Povetkin #1 at the time of the fight and so did TBRB and they also had Pulev #1 and so did Ring.

Comment

Laced Up -

No, I did not say that he never unified any titles. I said he never unifed THE titles.

UNIFY - "to make into a unit or a coherent whole."

Klitschko never made the championship whole. He was missing the biggest piece.

Please don't lie about what I wrote, especially when my posts are easily verifiable.

No, TBRB did not have Povetkin #1. Their archive is easily verifiable. That's another lie from you.

After you go to their website and realize you are wrong, make sure to remember to apologize for lying to everyone. Thanks.
                    He unified all the titles that weren't vacant. It's not as if he ducked anyone

The WBC is not the most important piece either. Plenty of recognized champions over the last years didn't hold the WBC.

So prove it.

Show me the archive from October 2013 where Povetkin is ranked #4 by them.

Because I can see that even after losing to Klitschko he was #2 with TBRB http://www.tbrb.org/2013/10/14/8-october-2013/ - Funnily enough behind Kubrat Pulev, who Klitschko then decapitated.

So you were dead wrong.

In September he was #3 behind David Haye of all people http://www.tbrb.org/2013/09/18/10-september-2013/

- Wladimir wasn't even recognized as the champ by them which immediately brings their heavyweight rankings into question.

Haye who hadn't fought in 14 months by that time shouldn't even have ranked by their own rules which means Povetkin was the consensus #1 with both Ring and TBRB as Haye was removed from the rankings just the month after.
                    Last edited by LacedUp; 01-12-2016, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-hickey View Post
                      He ought to be ringside VIP to see the pretenders go at it, like the court jesters of old, performing farce for the amusement of the King.

I hope to see it

Comment

Working...
                      X