Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spoiler Alert!!! Please help me understand the ending of Interstellar!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
    Okay, if you haven't seen this movie then you should leave this thread. It's best to go into the movie not knowing anything. You've been warned. Anyway, the ending completely lost. This is where I get lost. Okay, so after Matt Damon's character gets killed off, where are they going exactly? I think Anne Hathaway is going to the other planet to see if there is life but was the plan for Matthew's character to go with her? Also when Matthew flips the script and decides to explore the blackhole it really lost me. So, inside the blackhole is what exactly? I saw the different scenes about his daughter and him so the blackhole is a vortex that bends time as well as physics? Also where was that colony produced at the end? Within the blackhole? I liked the movie but it completely lost me. I didn't think this movie was going to be more confusing than Inception.
    The plan was to go to edmund's planet to execute Plan B, and to drop off TARS inside the black hole so that he could gather data needed from the singularity, but Cooper promised his daughter he would come back so he went inside because that was the only way to get back to her.

Inside the singularity is where all time and possibility exists occurring at the same time. It was Cooper's love and connection with murph, which transcends all dimensions that brought them together, and connected them through that book-case.

After TARS studied the singularity in the black hole, he had all the data he needed to be able to launch the space station, which coop then relayed back to murph and with the correct equations they were able to leave the planet using the space station. The colony is the space station NASA built with Murphy's equation which she got from cooper and TARS.

Comment

Arthur C Clarke's third law of science fiction states that any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.

Stanley Kubrik's first law of science fiction is that any interstellar travel is indistinguishable from taking acid and going to an Orbital concert.

Anyway nobody knows what's inside a black hole so mawkish sentimentality is as valid as anybody elses' guess.

Film was disappointing. It was quite good up until that point, except for the bits where doomed scientist extras explained things to the viewer AKA Matthew McConaughey like what a black hole is. You know, the NASA pilot and engineer who didn't understand relativity.

He was a genius and then he was a moron. All throughout the film.

You should have seen Big Hero 6 instead.

Comment

I'm not gonna lie, the movie did have a few tear jerker moments for me.

Besides that, i'm not gonna comment any further. 4corners seems to have covered it all.

Comment

i just don't get the fact that when they travel in space they remain young while the people on earth are getting old

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Up View Post
            i just don't get the fact that when they travel in space they remain young while the people on earth are getting old
            Because once they went down to the planets near the black holes gravitational field, time was different for them than people outside of it. It's general relativity or some ****. Now for it to be 1 hour there equals 7 years on earth....the planet would have to be MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to the black hole than in the film, literally right by it, close enough to be pulled into the black hole completely. But it's Science Fiction.....enough said.

But basically if there's an individual near a black hole, light would need to appear at the same speed for them as it would outside the black holes gravitational field. But the mass is so great by a black hole that light has more gorund to cover....but since it needs to appear the same for that individual, time would be different for them. It would seem relatively quick for that individual near the black hole even though for others outside that gravitational field, it would seem like a much longer time.

Which is why 23 years had passed for Romily back in the spacecraft, which was outside the black holes gravitational field. Romily was still on earth time.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              Because once they went down to the planets near the black holes gravitational field, time was different for them than people outside of it. It's general relativity or some ****. Now for it to be 1 hour there equals 7 years on earth....the planet would have to be MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to the black hole than in the film, literally right by it, close enough to be pulled into the black hole completely. But it's Science Fiction.....enough said.

But basically if there's an individual near a black hole, light would need to appear at the same speed for them as it would outside the black holes gravitational field. But the mass is so great by a black hole that light has more gorund to cover....but since it needs to appear the same for that individual, time would be different for them. It would seem relatively quick for that individual near the black hole even though for others outside that gravitational field, it would seem like a much longer time.

Which is why 23 years had passed for Romily back in the spacecraft, which was outside the black holes gravitational field. Romily was still on earth time.
              it took them 2 years to get to that black hole close to Jupiter right?

the only question also is what was the water capsule that they sleep in for?

how come their haircuts seem to be like they just got out of the barber or a parlor even though they have been traveling for quite a long time?

Comment

Relativity. Time is not a constant. The only constant is the speed of light. The time dilation effect has been experimentally observed with the use of atomic clocks. They put an atomic clock on a plane and one on the ground, flew the plane around and found that more time had passed on earth than on the plane because the plane was travelling at a faster relative velocity. And it's not just that the clock slowed down, time itself slows.

That was the stupid thing. They went to the one hour is seven years planet and basically said "Well one hour here is seven years on earth but fuck it, we're here now, let's do this one." It made literally zero sense to not travel to another planet and try those ones first, keeping in mind the holy grail was to transport all humans into space somehow.

Suspended animation. The water cools slowing down their metabolic systems and keeping them at the same age for longer. It was slightly more hard science than the magic sleep chambers that are often used in sci fi (FUCK YOU PROMETHEUS) but it's still magic future tech.

how come their haircuts seem to be like they just got out of the barber or a parlor even though they have been traveling for quite a long time?
                Hollywood baby!

Comment

The "long nap" which they described it as in the movie somehow makes them not age, it was probably explained in the movie, but I kind of just figured that was it's intent.

And yeah it took 2 years, which would have been 2 years earth time too, for them to get to Saturn. Then it took a matter of hours to go through the wormhole, and get down to Millers planet. Because Amelia ****ed up on Mllers planet though, they spent too much time there, like 3 hours, which due to them being so close to the black hole on that planet, was 23 years for Romily and everyone on earth. Then more time was wasted when Cooper and Amelia were flying tot he event horizon of the black hole, and more time Cooper spent within the black hole. Decades went by, so by the time he finished communicating with Murph to save humanity and was kicked out of the tesseract through the wormhole again, it was like another 60 years or something. Which is why Murph was like 100 or some ****.

Comment

"They have created a three dimensional space within the five dimensions they have using technology we can't even understand!"

Comment

Working...
                    X