how does one improve punching power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does one improve punching power?

how can one have the mike tyson power?

I don't know about Tyson-like power but you'll find significant improvements in power if you focus on things BESIDES your arms. Where you're planting your feet, if you're using your legs, hips, shoulders, and turning into the punches. Yea, Mike was muscular but if you look at his form, that's where his power truly came from. Look at how he turns and compresses before those brutal left hooks, and puts his whole body into them.
    Last edited by Redd Foxx; 05-07-2015, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Chop wood.

Comment

Tyson power? Not happening.

Can you improve your punching power? yes.

How do you do it? Training.

Mass x Velocity = power.

Get your velocity up (fast twitch muscle) and/or increase your mass (reasonably). By default you increase your power.

Will you punch like Tyson or GGG? Possibly, if you have the pre-determined capacity for that kind of power.

Or you can just increase your Fight IQ, learn to time perfect counters, and land everything pin point. You'll put people away with that too.
        Last edited by F l i c k e r; 05-06-2015, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLYBOY View Post
          lots of heavy bag, but start with a light bag, so it does not damage wrist and does not compromise the technique.

Bag 40 kg

1. Work the heavy bag regularly
          2. Pay attention to the quality of punches, the sound, so they are snappy
          3. Increase the weight of the by 10 kg, after half a year or a year ( depends on your age and work rate, etc)

repeat steps 1-3

stop when reach 100-200 kg bag

also, when reach 100 kg bag, I believe you can safely work on Willie, really smashing it.

Besides all that there is need to do special exercises to conditions wrists, knuckles, stretch muscles, isometric exercises, etc

Comment

I think the posters above covered a lot of it..

Here is a video i made of a circuit i made up that might ad some speed and power.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-gBoATnY0

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
              Tyson power? Not happening.

Can you improve your punching power? yes.

How do you do it? Training.

Mass x Velocity = power.

Get your velocity up (fast twitch muscle) and/or increase your mass (reasonably). By default you increase your power.

Will you punch like Tyson or GGG? Possibly, if you have the pre-determined capacity for that kind of power.

Or you can just increase your Fight IQ, learn to time perfect counters, and land everything pin point. You'll put people away with that too.
              This is a phenomenal response. I hope the dude took this advice.

Hand position, delivery, speed, belief, heart, 3 min weight drills can all be enablers from the training perspective.

Master Hand Position & Delivery would be the easiest way to add some pop. Your punches would immediately be much more disguised. Those hurt.

Then build.

Comment

Punching power really is genetic either your born with power like mike or your not, You can improve your punching power tho, people always say work the heavybag but it's all about training, You just got to box in your Gym and with time you get stronger. However i would put focus on things like footwork and speed instead of increasing your power punch.

Good example of knocking some one out btw if that's what your looking to do with power.

I've knocked out someone like a month ago in the gym during sparring he comes with a right i evade step left throw a left hand it connects and he goes down now what suprised me was i din't punch with power at all in my last amateur fight i throwed a huge right and it made my opponent wobble on his feet, but now i throw a lame ass left and the guy is ko'd directly.

Should you try doing special power workouts sometimes Yes sure why not
                Is power really that important No
                Last edited by Shoaz; 06-16-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Nothing you do, can replace learning proper technique and practicing over and over.

Everyone always talks About Tysons power and no one mentions how perfect his technique is in everything he does. That dude put his work in.

Comment

Originally posted by FLYBOY View Post
                    Steroids

+

Olympic Lifting

+

Perfect technique

Comment

Working...
                    X