No announcement yet.

Is "Esports" a real sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "Esports" a real sport?

I heard on the radio colleges are giving "athletic scholarships" to students who play video games.

I was having a debate with my buddy and he says it is a sport, while I said it wasn't.

I told him there's nothing "athletic" about it, but then he tries to give a comparison and use Nascar as not a sport because one is just sitting driving a car in circles.

I told him that's no where near the same and Nascar is way more of a sport and the guys in it are way more athletes than these people who play video games.

So do you guys think "Esports" is a real sport?

Originally posted by Gigantes View Post
    I heard on the radio colleges are giving "athletic scholarships" to students who play video games.

I was having a debate with my buddy and he says it is a sport, while I said it wasn't.

I told him there's nothing "athletic" about it, but then he tries to give a comparison and use Nascar as not a sport because one is just sitting driving a car in circles.

I told him that's no where near the same and Nascar is way more of a sport and the guys in it are way more athletes than these people who play video games.

If Darts, Snooker, Pool, Motor Racing etc are classed as sports than I would
    have to say esports are sports too...

Remember these nerds are good at what they do, and people want to watch them and find out who is the best.

Comment

I think when we talk about athleticism and what sports are supposed to be, and have been largely in history, I agree with you.

That said, Poker is considered a sport (WSOP). There is zero athletic ability in that as well. You can't have it both ways.

What I do know, is that it does take skill to be elite at certain video games like RTS's, MMO's, and FPS's. I use to be real good at Halo 2, and COD4, Black Ops, and WAW. I'd enter a competition for money in a heartbeat. No shame in proving my worth in something that takes skill and intelligence. The only reason I never got involved with esports back in the day was because the biggest challenge was convincing your team to participate.

Me and my (online) crew would ruin people on a daily basis, but none of them wanted to, nor had the means to put down the yayper to go to Texas together and compete in a live tourney. I was all for it. I would still be interested today if I had a team.

With hold'em it's the same thing, I wish I had the means to participate in the WSOP today, and really miss having a group of friends to play weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
        I think when we talk about athleticism and what sports are supposed to be, and have been largely in history, I agree with you.

That said, Poker is considered a sport (WSOP). There is zero athletic ability in that as well. You can't have it both ways.

What I do know, is that it does take skill to be elite at certain video games like RTS's, MMO's, and FPS's. I use to be real good at Halo 2, and COD4, Black Ops, and WAW. I'd enter a competition for money in a heartbeat. No shame in proving my worth in something that takes skill and intelligence. The only reason I never got involved with esports back in the day was because the biggest challenge was convincing your team to participate.

Me and my (online) crew would ruin people on a daily basis, but none of them wanted to, nor had the means to put down the yayper to go to Texas together and compete in a live tourney. I was all for it. I would still be interested today if I had a team.

With hold'em it's the same thing, I wish I had the means to participate in the WSOP today, and really miss having a group of friends to play weekly.
        Yea man I hear you, halo 2 was the best. Could never get ranked higher than a 31/32, seemed like every time would get higher, always run into someone who's system was modified.

Comment

Chess is not a sport then?

Comment

Comment

Video games are simulations, a simulation is just a fake version of the real thing, a make believe for those who can't or won't participate in the real thing for whatever reason.

If you like that kind of thing and enjoy it then go for it but any sane person living in reality has more respect for football player or a fighter then for someone who plays a football player or plays a fighting simulation.

Sports started as a simulation of real conflict, a way to do battle against each other and compete with each other without having to kill each other. Now even sports is to demanding for some people so they need a simulated reality. It's a sign of the times.

I respect video games as a past time but not as a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
                Chess is not a sport then?
                Eating hot dogs, poker, spelling bee, chess, "sports" networks show them so I guess you can call it a sport, just like you can call video games a sport, I just don't/won't call it a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
                  Video games are simulations, a simulation is just a fake version of the real thing, a make believe for those who can't or won't participate in the real thing for whatever reason.

If you like that kind of thing and enjoy it then go for it but any sane person living in reality has more respect for football player or a fighter then for someone who plays a football player or plays a fighting simulation.

Sports started as a simulation of real conflict, a way to do battle against each other and compete with each other without having to kill each other. Now even sports is to demanding for some people so they need a simulated reality. It's a sign of the times.

I respect video games as a past time but not as a sport.
                  nice, good post

Comment

It definitely Takes more effort than playing golf...

Comment

Working...
                    X