No announcement yet.

The 18 Most Suppressed Inventions Ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    i lease an impreza now. i got less than 3 years left and i am counting the days

my wrx died .

the engine went at 125 k miles. i was going to put a new one in there, but as you alluded to, the body was rusty, and my struts were all gone. the catalytic converter was gone too. it ran fine (minus the blown engine,) but wouldn't pass inspection.
    Damn that sucks! I know your pain because I spun a rod on my at around 120k (engine died basically). I ended up rebuilding the engine. I had just done struts, springs and brakes all around so I wanted to keep it. Engine is basically new now. New crank, pistons, rings, rods etc... Just need to patch some rust and she should be good for a few more years. Thing does not have any leaks on it anymore. Basically it ended up getting too low on oil because I had a bad leak on the oil return line. I should have been keeping a closer eye on my oil. Now I check it every other time I put gas in it.

Why did yours pop?

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      Damn that sucks! I know your pain because I spun a rod on my at around 120k (engine died basically). I ended up rebuilding the engine. I had just done struts, springs and brakes all around so I wanted to keep it. Engine is basically new now. New crank, pistons, rings, rods etc... Just need to patch some rust and she should be good for a few more years. Thing does not have any leaks on it anymore. Basically it ended up getting too low on oil because I had a bad leak on the oil return line. I should have been keeping a closer eye on my oil. Now I check it every other time I put gas in it.

Why did yours pop?

well, evidently a spark plug blew through one of the cylinder heads. i'm not a mechanic, but the two explanations i got were that the plug was either sized incorrectly, which was unlikely as i use subaru mechanics, or that it was screwed in too tightly and stripped. at any rate, it evidently shot out of there like a missle and sent pieces of metal inside the cylinder. i would have needed to replace the cylinder, or more appropriately the entire engine, and i wasn't going to dump that much money into a car i didn't think had much more than 50 k miles left at the most. stuff was just starting to go.

it sucks. i do like my impreza, but it's very underpowered on the highway. i get my need for speed satiated on the ski slopes. been bombing groomers this year to compensate . got me some fisher GS skis, with the holes in the tips. f#cking fast.

what do you usually do about rust? and did you do any of the work on your subaru yourself? they're way too complicated for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        We already have the technology to replace oil, we just don't because it's such a gigantic industry and world economic stabilizer.

We will just charge for something else, it's only a matter of time.
        We DO not have anything that replaces Oil if the presumption is that it can support billions of driving cars in Industrial Society. Nothing.
        Last edited by cupocity303; 02-01-2013, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          i pump diesel fuel constantly, and i'd love to be able to give it up
          stuff is dirty.

cars won't be running on gas by the time we die, pea. sorry, car guy. a gallon of gas will cost you 50 bucks some day. the stuff is finite.
          The arrogant presumption by a lot of people is that we can keep up the current rate of Automobiles and sustain the current level energy, all by replacing Oil with something else. NO, once the Oil is gone, GAME OVER.

70's and 80's Sci-Fi movies have given us this fantasy that by year 2000, we'll have flying cars all over the place because of the rate that technology was expending/improving. We have pretty much stagnated. And it's only downhill from now.

Comment

tesla's free energy is a load of nonsense imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
              The arrogant presumption by a lot of people is that we can keep up the current rate of Automobiles and sustain the current level energy, all by replacing Oil with something else. NO, once the Oil is gone, GAME OVER.

70's and 80's Sci-Fi movies have given us this fantasy that by year 2000, we'll have flying cars all over the place because of the rate that technology was expending/improving. We have pretty much stagnated. And it's only downhill from now.
              nuclear power is where it is at.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                tesla's free energy is a load of nonsense imo.
                Good goyim. Keep buying up that oil.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
                  The question is how long, approximately? it's a rhetorical question.
                  Fifty years.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

that's bopkiss, if i understand your point. vehicles powered by fuel or electricity will outlast gasoline.

batteries are getting to the point where they can power a car for hundreds of miles. it's only a matter of time before they drop in price to a level at which they are affordable to a middle class american.

eventually we will destroy this planet. i won't be alive for that, though. neither will you.

capitalism will find a way this time. i expect to be driving a car running off of a battery in 20 years. the electricty, then, can be produced by almost any means. currently if you break down my energy bill, i get most of my electricty from coal burning and natural gas. some from hyrdoelectric power, too. if i can find a bill i can break it down more completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                      nuclear power is where it is at.
                      nuclear power iwll almost certainly never directly power a car, though. batteries are where it's at. store that pow in your whip after you get it out of your wall socket, and generate it at a nuclear plant many miles away.
                      Last edited by New England; 02-02-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X