Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyds "tax issue" for the year, for possibly not fighting in 2010?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyds "tax issue" for the year, for possibly not fighting in 2010?

I have seen people around here saying that if Floyd fights Pac in 2010... that his earnings for the fight... in addition to his earnings for the Mosley fight would push him into the next tax bracket.

This would make Floyd want to wait until 2011, so that the Pac fight earnings do not push him into the next bracket, and he would pay a higher percentage.

I myself am someone who has been saying this...

After doing some research (because I am not a tax expert).

There is actually a ceiling on the federal tax brackets..

In other words... once you make a certain amount per year... your tax percentage does not increase... should you continue to make more.

Depending on what you make, you fall into a certain criteria.. such as follows:

10% - $0 – $8,375

15% - $8,376 – $34,000

25% - $34,001 – $82,400

28% - $82,401 – $171,850

33% - $171,851 – $373,650

35% - $373,651+

35% seems to be the federal ceiling tax bracket.

In addition, Nevada (where Floyd lives) Does not have State income Tax.

With the Shane Mosley fight, obviously Floyd is already in this tax bracket, and it is my understanding that any additional income for Floyd (Pacquiao fight) would not push him into the next tax bracket... because another tax bracket does not exist.

What I found on "millionaire tax bracket":

What the discussion over the top marginal tax rate ignores, however (and what Ygelsias picks up upon) is that this rate has been assessed at very different thresholds of income. In 1940, for example, the top marginal tax rate was 81.1 percent -- but this rate only kicked in once you made $5,000,000 or more in income, which is equivalent to about $75,000,000 in today's dollars.

But today, the threshold where the top tax bracket kicks in isn't $75 million, or $5 million, or even $1 million ... it's a mere $357,700(as of 2009, it was kicked up to $373,651 for 2010).

The progressivity of the tax code stops there

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/...x-bracket.html

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by THE REED; 07-01-2010, 03:33 PM.

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
    I have seen people around here saying that if Floyd fights Pac in 2010... that his earnings for the fight... in addition to his earnings for the Mosley fight would push him into the next tax bracket.

This would make Floyd want to wait until 2010, so that the Pac fight earnings do not push him into the next bracket, and he would pay a higher percentage.

I myself am someone who has been saying this...

After doing some research (because I am not a tax expert).

There is actually a ceiling on the federal tax brackets..

In other words... once you make a certain amount per year... your tax percentage does not increase... should you continue to make more.

Depending on what you make, you fall into a certain criteria.. such as follows:

10% - $0 – $8,350

15% - $8,351– $33,950

25% - $33,951 – $82,250

28% - $82,251 – $171,550

33% - $171,551 – $372,950

35% - $372,951+

35% seems to be the federal ceiling tax bracket.

In addition, Nevada (where Floyd lives) Does not have State income Tax.

With the Shane Mosley fight, obviously Floyd is already in this tax bracket, and it is my understanding that any additional income for Floyd (Pacquiao fight) would not push him into the next tax bracket... because another tax bracket does not exist.

Your thoughts?
    Isn't there a federal tax once you make 9 figures?

Comment

here it comes... *****s super genius researches......

floyd hasnt even declined and theyre on a roll searching for excuses already ... its like they already knew from the bottom of there heart that floyd will say "NO"

Comment

i think once you get inot 9 figures it raises..i could be wrong tho..i also am no tax expert(hell i dont even pay them)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
          Isn't there a federal tax once you make 9 figures?
          It may be true.

I am not a tax expert... was just poking around what the tax brackets are...

Comment

my thought is very few ppl understand the tax law enough to even make a vaid point or arguement and the ones thats running their moths have no idea what their talking about. im sure chic ... i mean floyd has learned his lesson and hired competent accountants and tax lawyers.....

besides this is a boxing forum who cares what kind of taxes theyre paying

Comment

Originally posted by zeidrich View Post
              here it comes... *****s super genius researches......

floyd hasnt even declined and theyre on a roll searching for excuses already ... its like they already knew from the bottom of there heart that floyd will say "NO"
              reed is no *****..not even close

Comment

What the discussion over the top marginal tax rate ignores, however (and what Ygelsias picks up upon) is that this rate has been assessed at very different thresholds of income. In 1940, for example, the top marginal tax rate was 81.1 percent -- but this rate only kicked in once you made $5,000,000 or more in income, which is equivalent to about $75,000,000 in today's dollars.

But today, the threshold where the top tax bracket kicks in isn't $75 million, or $5 million, or even $1 million ... it's a mere $357,700.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                  It may be true.

I am not a tax expert... was just poking around what the tax brackets are...
                  I'm sure the IRS made sure floyd knew if he tried to hold out earnings like he did the wrestlemania money that he was gonna go right to the pokey. Hold up gorilla dog give us our cheese now.

Comment

Good work reed, let the fight happen Nov 13th. No more silly excuses.

Comment

Working...
                    X