No announcement yet.

Our Cricket Team

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Cricket Team

Stating the obvious, but aren't our glory days a distant memory now?

I'd say we're going to be just a competitive 3rd-5th ranked team over the next 5 years. We don't have a single world class bowler for a start and Ponting is our only bonafide superstar. Blokes like Hussey played well in a winning team, but don't seem to have the go to perform from behind the 8 ball.

If you look at our team it's a good one, just not a great one. Players like Marsh, Hopes and D. Hussey are good honest cricketers, just not the calibre of the players we've had over the last decade.

Warner is obviously talented, but needs at least another 2 years of development before we start to see some consistency.

Siddle, Bollinger and Hilfenhaus are all solid, but nothing more.

We're truly back in the pack IMO. I'll still be watching.

Cricket a touch boring imo. Sorry I know that doesn't help. But I can't sit and watch those ****ing test matches. 20 20 is the go.

Comment

Originally posted by mgkirkpatrick View Post
      Stating the obvious, but aren't our glory days a distant memory now?

I'd say we're going to be just a competitive 3rd-5th ranked team over the next 5 years. We don't have a single world class bowler for a start and Ponting is our only bonafide superstar. Blokes like Hussey played well in a winning team, but don't seem to have the go to perform from behind the 8 ball.

If you look at our team it's a good one, just not a great one. Players like Marsh, Hopes and D. Hussey are good honest cricketers, just not the calibre of the players we've had over the last decade.

Warner is obviously talented, but needs at least another 2 years of development before we start to see some consistency.

Siddle, Bollinger and Hilfenhaus are all solid, but nothing more.

We're truly back in the pack IMO. I'll still be watching.
      Our team going through a rebuilding stage is the best thing that can happen to the game worldwide and in our own country. I got to confess I stopped watching cricket because it actually got boring knowing the team was going to win almost every match. I really loved watching Warney bowl and since he retired I don't get into it as much. The best thing the selectors can do now is pick youth and let them develop. Besides it's more fun watching a game knowing you are the underdog and the team have to produce something special to win.
      The South Africans, India & England will now battle it out for supremacy but I see the Proteas having top billing for the next 3 or 4 years at least.

Comment

Originally posted by woftam View Post
        Our team going through a rebuilding stage is the best thing that can happen to the game worldwide and in our own country. I got to confess I stopped watching cricket because it actually got boring knowing the team was going to win almost every match. I really loved watching Warney bowl and since he retired I don't get into it as much. The best thing the selectors can do now is pick youth and let them develop. Besides it's more fun watching a game knowing you are the underdog and the team have to produce something special to win.
        The South Africans, India & England will now battle it out for supremacy but I see the Proteas having top billing for the next 3 or 4 years at least.
        My thoughts exactly on the top sides. I'd say we'll compete with all of them. Nothing wrong with that. I miss Warney, glad that I'll be able to say I saw him at his peak. By far the best cricketer I've ever seen.

SA look to have a strong team with a lot of youth. Boucher, McKenzie, Gibbs and Ntini don't have too long to go and if they're replaced with quality cricketers SA could have a reign not dissimilar to our own.

England has a good young side too, but IMO players like Bell, Strauss and even Flintoff are the kind of players who look a million bucks when momentum is on their side and struggle when it's not.

India will soon be in a position like our own. Tendulkar, Laxman, Dravid, Ganguly and Sehwag are all at the back end of their careers. Dhoni seems to be the heir to the throne, but I'm not completely sold on him. The interesting thing is with their batting on the way out their bowling stocks have come along tremendously in the last few years. Interesting matchups.. Next world cup should be a beauty.

Comment

I kind of gave up hope last night when Australia were 3 for 35. Clarke out for a duck. Then Warner got out stupidly. But Australia put up a good fight only losing by 39 runs. Anderew Symonds really needs to get back into the Australian team.

Hopefully in the next couple of years we find some good young batters to replace Hayden and Gilchrist.

Comment

Originally posted by ??? View Post
            I kind of gave up hope last night when Australia were 3 for 35. Clarke out for a duck. Then Warner got out stupidly. But Australia put up a good fight only losing by 39 runs. Anderew Symonds really needs to get back into the Australian team.

Hopefully in the next couple of years we find some good young batters to replace Hayden and Gilchrist.
            See there is one problem right there. People are getting a game on reputation without making any runs or taking any wickets. Symonds hasn't even made runs in state cricket for a long time now. Yet we fail to reward the young guys who are making plenty of runs and are in good form. It's a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by woftam View Post
              See there is one problem right there. People are getting a game on reputation without making any runs or taking any wickets. Symonds hasn't even made runs in state cricket for a long time now. Yet we fail to reward the young guys who are making plenty of runs and are in good form. It's a recipe for disaster.
              Haha true.. but i still would have liked to see him striding to the wicket last night rather than either of the Husseys or James 'mediocore' Hopes.

Comment

well at least we don't have to put up with 1 sided domination every single match played

Comment

cricket is **** i cant watch it

Comment

Working...
                  X