Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the greater fighter of the last 30yrs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree but, people like Langford who fought heavier weights without actually being heavier himself most of the time.

Comment

It's a hard question to answer. In chronological order:

Duran (if you count his entire career)
      SRL
      Hagler
      RJJ
      Pacquaio

are definite TOP 5.

Love Whitaker. His D was the best I ever saw but his O was lacking (compared to the other greats).

I would place Pac above Hagler simply for the rise in weight. The question centers around how you rate going up in weight. Duran dominated the lighweights for a decade but didn't have anywhere near the same power at Welterweight.

Pacquiao has enough power for welters. Amazing.

Short answer is for Pac to be undisputed best in the last 30 years he needs to take out Mayweather.

Comment

That was Pacs natural growth development wheras Duran got fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          I agree but, people like Langford who fought heavier weights without actually being heavier himself most of the time.
          That was Pacs natural growth development wheras Duran got fat.
          Yep, I understand what you're saying.

Also, I'd like to note; Duran dominated a division for a decade, something which Pacquiao has never done - a feat which immensely tips the scales in favour of Duran.

Also, Duran's win over a prime Ray Leonard at 147 is greater than any victory Pacquiao has had since his jump from 106 to 154.

Pacquiao jump in weightclasses;

David Diaz - Worst LW beltholder of All Time
          Oscar De La Hoya - Over The Hill/Shot/Drained
          Juan Manuel Marquez - Lost Both Fights
          Clottey - Average Fighter
          Erik Morales - Past Prime

Comment

Duran lasting the distance in a close fight with Hagler is better than any Pac win lol.

Comment

Pac's wins over Cotto & Hatton are decent victories and comparable to Duran's wins over Barkley & Cuevas.

Comment

I would say Barkley win is better considering the circumstances.

Comment

I would say Barkley win is better considering the circumstances.
                  Interesting take; Duran was certainly past prime for that fight + fighting 25 pounds above his optimum weight-class.

I'd tend to agree.

Comment

Working...
                  X