No announcement yet.

Best Comeback In History.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Comeback In History.

Theres been a few dramatic comebacks in boxing history. In my humble opinion Ali's comeback is probably the most dramatic. Your thoughts, list some of your best comebacks in boxing history.

Muhammad Ali beats Foreman for Heavyweight Championship of the World- this was after the title was wrongfully stripped from Ali seven years earlier. In 1967 he wasnt allowed to fight for 3 years. So when he came back in 1970 or 71 he had to get the title back from Frazier-he lost-after that he had to fight his way back up to contension losing for a second time to Norton and winning some on the way up. So finally in 1974 a 32 year old Ali finally gets a shot at the title against an undefeated young wrecking machine that was 42-0 by the name of George Foreman. The ring had not seen such a fearsome villian as Foreman since Liston and many gave Ali little chance to win he was a huge underdog going into the fight. This is the famous fight where Ali rope a doped Foreman till Foreman was tired and knocking him out in round 8.

here are a few others that I have seen in my life that are very dramatic also.

-Foreman wins heavyweight title at the age of 45 and becomes oldest man to ever win heavywieght title after being retired for ten years. Foreman changed during his ten year retirement from boxing, from being a villian when he was young to the big lovable giant we know him as now.

-Duran beats Iran Barkley for the Super Middleweight title after many wrote Duran off into has been status.

-Sugar Ray coming back to win the Middleweight Title against Hagler after retirement from damaged retina

I'm sure theres more so fill me in.....

How about the greatest bantamweight of all-time, Eder Jofre, at the age of 37 (which is ancient for a fighter of that size), coming back after a three year layoff and winning the featherweight championship from Jose Legra...and then going undefeated for the rest of his boxing career?

There's others, but that's the first one that came to mind besides the ones you've mentioned.

P.S. Good post, Johnny!

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
      How about the greatest bantamweight of all-time, Eder Jofre, at the age of 37 (which is ancient for a fighter of that size), coming back after a three year layoff and winning the featherweight championship from Jose Legra...and then going undefeated for the rest of his boxing career?

There's others, but that's the first one that came to mind besides the ones you've mentioned.

P.S. Good post, Johnny!

thanks, you are right that is amazing that a 37 year old bantamweight can do that. considering that boxing is a young mans sport the lighter in weight you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi

P.S. Good post, Johnny!
        I concur whole heartedly. Eder Jofre's comeback at the age of 37 is probably the most impressive; and to do so against a fighter like Legra, then defend it against Vicente Saldivar is simply mind boggling. Jofre was truly a special fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by cple
          I concur whole heartedly. Eder Jofre's comeback at the age of 37 is probably the most impressive; and to do so against a fighter like Legra, then defend it against Vicente Saldivar is simply mind boggling. Jofre was truly a special fighter.

in what decade did this happen?

Comment

Jofre first retired after losing to fellow hall of famer, Fighting Harada, in 1966. He cameback three years later and won the featherweight title in 1973.

So, not only did he win a title at 37, he won it in a division above his best weightclass (featherweight).

Comment

Foreman gets my nod. Look at how many other heavyweights have tried to do what Foreman has done at his age and fail miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmboxer
                Foreman gets my nod. Look at how many other heavyweights have tried to do what Foreman has done at his age and fail miserably.

I saw that one live....it was incredible.

Comment

Foreman. No doubt.

Comment

Yes Forman ranks right up towards the top.
                    Also i'll give props to Evander Holyfield, after the Doctors diagnosed him with heart problems, he was written off by most experts. Ring magazine had predicted that the Tyson-Holyfield fight would be "fast and explosive-Tyson in One'. As we all know Holyfield dominated. And had a decent defense against Michael Moorer afterwards as well as superfights with Lewis.
                    Also Roberto Duran, thought to be shot, an underdog against the younger Davey Moore,(davey Moore had actually left During one of Durans fights (i believe it was on the Arguello Pryor undercard) because he looked so bad and the crowd was booing him. Few fights later Duran had battered Davey into a gruesome 8th round knockout. Sports Illustrated Headlines read: "Duran, One Mas Time, He that was lost has been found"

Comment

Working...
                    X