No announcement yet.

Emotional reunion between Lupe Pintor and Wilfredo Gómez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emotional reunion between Lupe Pintor and Wilfredo Gómez

Both fighters shared the occasion of the filming of the documentary "Of heroes and legends" that occurs on the Island

Wilfredo Gómez during his visit to the Sports Museum in Guaynabo. (El Nuevo Dia / Xavier Araújo)
    By OMAR MARRERO (AP)

GUAYNABO-recall one of the bloodiest fights that both had in their careers was one of the reasons for the Puerto Rican Wilfredo Gómez, and the Mexican Lupe Pintor met again today at the Sports Museum of Puerto Rico.

It was an emotional meeting with hugs, smiles and lots of praise to the careers of otherwise ... quite the opposite of what happened on 3 December 1982 when the two warriors met in New Orleans super bantamweight title by the World Boxing Council possessing the boricua.

"I am very happy to be here. Wilfredo and I are good friends, "said Painter.

"This meeting I see it as a reason to worry about giving them a good image to the new fighters that we are involved in drugs, that we care about living well and give a good image to the new generation," added the former world champion rooster super bantamweight and World Boxing Council (WBC).
    Polls

Pintor and Gomez gathered for the filming of the documentary "Of heroes and legends" that occurs in Puerto Rico and that will tell the life and career of Gomez the most idolized boxer on the island.

"I am very satisfied with the work involved and I am grateful to Lupe that he accepted our invitation to him to accompany me. Artist's my brother. Two or three years ago came to share my birthday and maintain a relationship of good friends, "said Gomez, who suffered years of problems with his vocal chords.

In fact, Pintor admitted that his friendship with Gomez was one of the reasons why he returned to the boxing world.

"When I retired from boxing, I was hurt by so many things that happened at the end of my career. Wanted no part of the box. Then some friends invited me and I'm back. I was reacquainted with friends like Wilfredo. He and his family have gone to Mexico and I have come to Puerto Rico a couple times to share with them, "said Painter.

Naturally, whenever you meet again is impossible to avoid the memories of what many still consider "the fight of the decade."

"That was a bully. Today would have sold millions (in the pay per view system). I remember at the press conference Painter told me: 'you'll be the next' and the next was him, "recalled the boricua.

Gomez retained his super bantamweight belt by defeating Artist by technical knockout in the fourteenth assault.

"That was work. Unfortunately someone has to lose and that day touched me. I lost that battle, but won the affection of many people that has continued to date and that is my gain, I live with happy, "said the Mexican.

Announcing the production of the documentary, Painter also met up with several former world champions Puerto Ricans who came to greet him, as Alfredo Escalera and Julian Solis.

The documentary is expected to be ready for the first quarter of next year.

I guess if i not Cotto-Pacquiao or **** Mayweather nobody is interested!

Comment

I'm interested. Wilfredo Gomez is the number 1 greatest Puerto Rican fighter. I'll watch the doc when it (if it ever) comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
        I say the same thing when people don't view my other threads on topics not having to do with those 3

Comment

A thread like this is better in the history section. I think you'll get good feedback there.

Comment

great fight
            wtf is up with them calling pintor, "painter" though

Comment

Anyone who watches this classic fight will immediately rate it among the best they have ever seen. It was that damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post

Hey Champ, its good to see Wilfredo doing well. It goes to show us respect is something thats earned and not just given! Gomez is one of the islands many treasures. We know Cotto and Margarito wont be doing no reunion tours 30 years from now.

WAR YANKEES !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chups View Post
                  I'm interested. Wilfredo Gomez is the number 1 greatest Puerto Rican fighter. I'll watch the doc when it (if it ever) comes out.
                  I liked Benitez more

Comment

Good posts guys!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X