No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cristian Mijares-Enrique Bernache on For February 9

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Cristian Mijares-Enrique Bernache on For February 9

According to Zanfer Promotions, Cristian Mijares (47-6-2, 22KOs) will return on February 9th in Mexico, defending his WBC silver featherweight title against Enrique Bernache (20-4, 11KOs). Mijares returns from the ninth round of TKO Rafael Marquez last October. In the co-feature, Jalisco's Daniel "Galeno" Sandoval will take on Filipino veteran Denis Laurente.

[Click Here To Read More]

Well, that's two down. I had hoped for Rigondeaux to fight Poonsawat, but the fight was canceled. My next choice for Rigo was Mijares. That's out. We're quickly running out of realistic competition for Guillermo as a lead-up to a Donaire showdown.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Well, that's two down. I had hoped for Rigondeaux to fight Poonsawat, but the fight was canceled. My next choice for Rigo was Mijares. That's out. We're quickly running out of realistic competition for Guillermo as a lead-up to a Donaire showdown.
      Agbeko is still available, but he might need a tuneup.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Scott Quigg the interim-WBA champion is available. Vic Darchinyan does not have a fight lined up and is one of the biggest names out there.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
          Agbeko is still available, but he might need a tuneup.
          Agbeko is slated to fight Luis Melendez on February 22. Even if he were available, Joseph is a bantamweight. In a perfect world, I'd like Rigo to fight a solid opponent in his weight-class. A Donaire fight is tough enough, Guillermo needs at least a little preparation.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs
            i don't think rigo will have a lead up fight to donaire...they might end up fighting in march or april.
            In the recent thread, "Donaire is Ready for Mares, Rigondeaux, Anyone," there's this paragraph: "He (Donaire) said WBA champion Rigondeaux has a fight scheduled for February and if he could move the fight to March it could happen - but indicated 'they don't want to do that.'"

That paragraph is poorly written. I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to mean. But appears to say that Rigo's camp turned down an offer for a March fight with Donaire. No one on these boards has made an issue of this. Maybe they're confused as to the wording.

Comment

Originally posted by artfuL_ View Post
              Scott Quigg the interim-WBA champion is available. Vic Darchinyan does not have a fight lined up and is one of the biggest names out there.
              Not familiar with Quigg. I just looked him up. Scott is big for the division and young. He appears to have good power, but I don't think he's what Rigo needs to prepare for Donaire. Darchinyan might be the better choice, but he's probably seen better days.

Comment

Working...
              X