Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Boxing Bring Back 15 Championship Rounds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Boxing Bring Back 15 Championship Rounds?

Should Boxing Bring Back 15 Rounds?

the WBC were the first to shorten their title fights to 12 rounds after the death of duk koo kim in a WBA lightweight challenge of ray 'boom boom' mancini.

the WBA and IBF followed suit in '87/'88, probably because mike tyson unified the belts and was the biggest thing in the sport at the time.....the WBO started up in late '88 with 12 rounders.

it has also been suggested that the tv networks has a big influence on the decision so they could show title fights in their 1 hour slot......if that's the case, then the fact that tv networks rearly ever show title fights means that they probably could bring back 15 rounders if there would'nt be so much opposition to it......In 12 rounds are too many draws, so a compromise would be to make title fights atleast 13 rounders.

I think bringing back 15 rounds is good for the boxers and good for the sport of boxing.
    Yes
    64.71%
    No
    35.29%

I think maybe it could be optional if both fighters agree on it, kinda like smaller sized gloves.

On one hand there could be some fights that could really benefit with the few extra rounds. On the other hand 3 more rounds of a lopsided snooze fest would be terrible.

Comment

if you think boxing is boring now, what would happen if it goes longer? it will just become worse

stick with the 12

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        I think maybe it could be optional if both fighters agree on it, kinda like smaller sized gloves.

On one hand there could be some fights that could really benefit with the few extra rounds. On the other hand 3 more rounds of a lopsided snooze fest would be terrible.
        I agree, can you imagine if the Hopkins/Jones (rematch )fight was 15 rounds?

That fight alone would eliminate the use of Nyquil.

Comment

too many deaths and injury occurred due to these later rounds

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post

I think you're on to something potna. I can definetely support this suggestion bruh.

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
              too many deaths and injury occurred due to these later rounds
              I don't think there is any evidence at all that supports this claim. Many deaths occurred within 12 rounds.

More often then not it has to do with the person being too dehydrated (hence the now 24-hour prior weigh in, versus same day weigh in). When the body is dehydrated the brain is in a more vulnerable state.

Comment

I am ok with 12 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                X